Pros/Cons of Time Capsule v. Airport Extreme + USB drive

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by spaceballl, Jan 3, 2012.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi all!

I currently have a 1TB Time Capsule (previous generation).

I'm all out of space on it, and I need to upgrade, but later in 2012, I'm going to be building a home theater PC (possibly multiple) and an 8 drive storage server. Eventually when I build that storage server, I'm not going to need the time capsule or external drive anymore. I will, however, still need a router. As I'm out of space on the current 1TB Time Capsule and would like the most recent gen device w/ better performance, I was thinking of picking up a 2TB Time Capsule... and then i figured, well... I'm going to be building a storage server later... maybe I should just buy a 2TB drive and plug it into the Airport Extreme and use that for backups now...

Thoughts? Seems like I should just go w/ the Airport Extreme + external drive.

2. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Are your backups done via Time Machine? If so, Apple doesn't support backing up to storage attached to the AEBS. (Some people have reported workarounds, like setting up the backup locally with USB first, then moving it to the router, as well as other things you can probably find if you search--but I'm not sure I would trust my backups with such a possibly risky setup.)

Just one thing to consider. :)

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Do you need 2TB of space until your storage server is built? If not, I'd go with the AirPort Extreme + External HDD.