Pros/cons with Mac os over Windows? (Soon-to-be-Macbook-owner)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by vane505, Aug 25, 2013.

1. vane505 macrumors newbie

I'm going to buy a rMBP at the refresh, main reason being that the keyboard, display, mouse pad and build quality is better than anything else I've tried which is important as I will use it several hours a day at school (will sell my PC) and bring with me when I travel. I'm curious about the OS as well, although that's not the main reason I'm buying a Mac. What would you say is the cons and pros of the Mac os over Windows? The key differences as I understand it:

Pros Windows:
    Better for gaming
    Bigger selection of applications
    Price

Pros Mac Os:
    Security
    Image/video-editing
    UI (although it seems like Microsoft has catch up some?)

Appreciate help :)

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

To me, as a user of Windows and OS X, these reasons you chose are very subjective. Each OS has its pros and cons, and lots of them. Instead of attempting to categorise and collate them all, I'd recommend you just try out OS X and see how you like it.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Not really the right forum for this, the general OS X is probably better.

4. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

You know you don't have to give up windows if what you like is the build quality of the machine. Windows runs absolutely fine on MacBooks as well as most Unix systems.

Also as the person above said benefits are subject.

One reason I like osx over windows is the ease with which I can automate tasks using Automator or Shell Scripts which is quite a bit more advanced then batch/DOS.

If you are a mild-moderate gamer you might be fine with just osx but Windows on the same machine will run games better. If have a copy of windows and want to play games I would highly recommend that over trying to play games on osx.

Also price as a pro for Windows is wrong. Windows OS is way more expensive than OSX what you're really saying is Apple hardware is expensive vs other PC brands.

Also # of apps is not really important at all, what really matters is if the OS can run the apps YOU NEED. If it can not then it is not the best OS for you.

In this era best OS just comes down to personal preference and needs. I personally think both OSX and Windows are great and I couldn't work with just one.

5. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

Totally agree with this statement. Instead of listing pros and cons, the OP should think hard if there are any applications only available in Windows and can't live without. Even Apple realized the reality of multi-platforms, and you can use either Boot Camp or VM to run applications from other OS platforms, but make sure you have enough knowledge or know where to find solutions to deal with occasional technical problems.