Pro's drop internet connection, iPhones do not.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mortendeep, Feb 17, 2011.

1. mortendeep macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I bought an Airport Extreme 802.11n three days ago. Yesterday the two MacBook Pro's in the household started dropping the internet connection, while still being connected to the router. The strange thing is, my iPhone is still connected to the internet.

Now, up until we bought the AEBS, we used an older Airport Express, which has worked flawlessly for several years.

Since only the Pro's lose internet connection, does that mean that the problem lies within Snow Leopard? Or is the problem the new AEBS?

A lot of other people report internet drop-outs using an AEBS, but it seems strange to me, that the iPhone still connects, thus showing me that the AEBS does have internet...

Any help is much appreciated!!

/Morten

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Try to reboot your router to see if the problem persists.

3. mortendeep thread starter macrumors newbie

I definitely will when I get home:)

I was just hoping to see if anyone else has (had) the same problem.

4. mortendeep thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems that the problem is a missing IP-address.

If I i.e. close the lid of my MacBook Pro, the signal strength of my network is top notch, but there is an exclamation point on top of the Airport-logo in my menubar.

If I run a quick diagnostic, the situation mostly resolves on its own. But it's still impressively annoying.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Can't seem to find anything regarding this specific problem...

Thanks!

/Morten

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Go into your network settings and delete all saved networks. Re-add the new one. See if it keeps happening.

6. mortendeep thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I`m not that familiar with the Airport but I presume it`s possible to set fixed ip addresses for your devices, might be worth a shot rather than letting airport assign them dynamically.

8. mortendeep thread starter macrumors newbie

that might be an idea! Should I then set fixed ip's for every wireless device in the apartment? I just found out that my Apple TV was kicked as well, so while being connected to the network, it had no internet access either.

I've read somewhere that the problem might be with the WPA-password. Some other users have successfully solved an internet connection issue simply by applying a lower grade security.

I use an Airport Express as an access point. I will try to disconnect that and see if that's what's causing the problem...

I appreciate all inputs!

/Morten

9. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Yes. Assign a fixed ip address to each of your wireless devices rather than letting the router set them for you.
    No guarantees but worth a shot.
    I often find with my Netgear that a reboot once a week or so improves its performance and stability (it`s a pretty poor router)
    Hope this helps.