Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkvalko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I recently decided to switch to MacBook Pro after seeing great features in software, however as I delve deeper I am finding a lot of complaints about hardware issues such as melting power cords, expanding batteries, shocking, defective graphics processor, overheating, faulty LCD screens, among others. A few of these seemed to be fixed with newer releases or are capable of being replaced by Apple, however it almost appears to be epidemic. Is it really this bad or am I only reading one-sided posts?

With the new version coming out, there is a possibility many of these things will be fixed but then again maybe not and its hard to know unless waiting over a period of time.

What is everyone's take? Are these problems worth dealing with just to have the pros of owning a Mac? I was excited about getting one until reading about the "dark side"...

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
well, most people tend to post more about whats wrong and problems with their computers, because they want to get help...

not as many people post about how great their laptop is, but then again, you do see those threads once in a while... :)

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I recently decided to switch to MacBook Pro after seeing great features in software, however as I delve deeper I am finding a lot of complaints about hardware issues such as melting power cords, expanding batteries, shocking, defective graphics processor, overheating, faulty LCD screens, among others. A few of these seemed to be fixed with newer releases or are capable of being replaced by Apple, however it almost appears to be epidemic. Is it really this bad or am I only reading one-sided posts?

With the new version coming out, there is a possibility many of these things will be fixed but then again maybe not and its hard to know unless waiting over a period of time.

What is everyone's take? Are these problems worth dealing with just to have the pros of owning a Mac? I was excited about getting one until reading about the "dark side"...

well this is a help forum, so most of the time you see threads about problems, questions, what to do scenarios, dealing with apple care, etc., but keep in mind that most people here have had a great experience and there's thousands and thousands of people who have never had a problem before.

so yeah, the pros outweigh the cons.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Every product line has defective units and issues.

melting power cords, expanding batteries, shocking: Hasn't happened to me yet

defective graphics processor: Apple acknowledged this issue now and if your GPU fails 2 years after your purchase, they'll refund your purchase and help you out. It's nice to know that they're acknowledging the issue now and not hiding.

overheating: Not really an issue, just use smcFanControl if it really bugs you. It really doesn't get hot unless you do rendering a lot of the time.

faulty LCD screens: A faulty screen will probably show its signs within the first year of use, in which time you're still covered under the default warranty.

Personally, I think I've found a perfect unit. No hardware issues, no dead pixels or screen defects, hasn't crashed on me in the 3 months I've owned it. With all things though, experience may vary :p.

azharc

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Like WinningAnthem, no problems here. One stuck pixel though which was easily fixed.

Of course it gets really hot with COD4 in Windows. But I've logged at least 20 hours on that game and not a problem.

(Mac nearly same age as winninganthem)

For now, just assume all those people with problems treat their Macs badly ;)

duykur

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2008
and the overheating problem isn't really a problem
for users fealling hot (lol) while playing games, rendering ect. this is because aluminum conducts heat much faster than plastic so it is much hotter on the outside. any other laptop gets just as hot, now if your CPU is melting, that's another issue

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
No problems to report, either. I'm happy with my MBP; it's the best computer I have ever had, excellent performance, powerful, attractive aesthetic and a terrific screen. Indeed, none of the oft-reported issues have arisen (as yet). If they do, I'm still under warranty and have Applecare.

A few years ago, before I switched to Apple, two iPods died, both still under warranty, and were replaced without fuss, which was one of the main reasons I switched to Apple.
Cheers

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
People don't come on forums to say how great their computers are, they come on forums to bitch about them not working.

In reality Apple's build quality, whilst has gone downhill, is still better than that of Dell, HP, Compaq etc.

Apple have the biggest brand name in the world, they have the largest repurchase loyalty of any company in the world, they are constantly under the spotlight, anything to do with them, good or bad, is blown way out of proportion.

And you can guarantee that 1/50 of these new Macbooks will have some trivial issue like a small crack in the side, yet it will generate the biggest **** storm you have ever seen.

Unfortunately thats how it works, we are perfectionists. Do you think any PC user cares wether his Dell has chicklet keys, the position of the DVD drive, the thickness, the look, the maglatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.