Prospective new iPhone user (Verizon)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macandal, Aug 12, 2011.

1. macandal macrumors newbie

So, I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and get an iPhone. However, I'm having a hard time deciding on a plan. I've never had a smart phone and I don't know which one would be more convenient for me. Someone with experience, can you tell me what you think about the plans?

Also, do people still pay for texting or are you using one of those free texting services. I read about those a couple a months ago, but I can't remember the names. The article implied that people shouldn't pay for texting when there were these services available, but I want to know if anyone uses them, and, if so, are they any good or does one still need to pay for texting.

Thanks.

2. Qoo macrumors 6502

You might want to consider to wait for the iphone 5 and sign the contract, getting an iphone 4 now seems not worth it.

I believe most of the people select the unlimited text with their plan now, unless you and your friends all have iphone to use biteSMS

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Unless most of the people you text are on a carrier other than Verizon, just go with the base texting plan. Verizon to Verizon Voice and texting is free.

4. macandal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I forgot to ask if there was a new version coming. I'd heard something about this. Very well, now, as far as the plan, I guess I should've worded my post differently. I really can only afford one of these plans:

• Data bundle with personal email
      Monthly data allowance: 2 GB
      $30/month

or, maybe

• Data bundle with personal email
      Monthly data allowance: 5 GB
    • Data bundle with personal email & mobile hotspot (don't even know what this is)
      Monthly data allowance: 4 GB

Either of the above, $50 month

Can you guys give me your thoughts on any of the above plans? Thanks.

5. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

2GB should be fine, especially if you have Wi-Fi in your home/office.

6. Qoo macrumors 6502

Totally agree.

Most likely you will use WiFi and home or office or even McDonald. So 2GB/Month is good enough.