Prosumer advice - dual mode w/Firewire?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by oregondean, Jan 21, 2009.

1. oregondean macrumors newbie

I represent a small non-profit putting on a conference in March. We're using BoinxTV to produce our conference videos in real time. This video will be produced in SD. We are looking for some advice as we procure a couple of new video cameras.

We need some camera advice for a new purchase, likely of two cameras ...

Ranked Priorities:
    1. Real-time FireWire output of the live video. Required to interface to existing port extenders and our mac pro.
    2. Two cameras of the same model ("If they are not, they might be slightly out of sync as the encoding of the video might take different times.").
    3. HDD based - but admitting I know little about solid state. Want to be able to capture at least 6 hours of video without a card swap.
    4. functionality is key, budget is an issue.
    5. SD required, HD potentially, dual HD/SD mode is interesting. (HD is for the future).
    We will do some subsequent editing of the produced video and the perhaps a bit of the raw video in FinalCut Express.

Thanks,

Dean

p.s. A great thanks to the Boinx, a Mac software firm based in Munich. Our conference is in Munich an they are providing us some great support.

2. jettoblack macrumors member

There aren't any HDD camcorders with firewire. Firewire is only used on DV, HDV, or DVCPRO(HD) tape-based cameras (except for the HVX200 which is P2 memory cards+DV tape). However, you can add an external HDD recorder that connects to the camera via firewire and records DV/HDV.

3. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Not necessarily the cheapest option but a camera with SDI out into a capture device running it live.

I work for a UK conferencing company and we use SDI with switchers to produce multi-camera conferences with real time relay onto repeater screens, projection screens and full sets.

Feel free to get in touch if you're interested in more information on how to do a live SDI setup.

Might i also suggest hiring the cameras if your budget is low.

4. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

A number of JVC's Everios have hard drives and firewire.

5. sharky05 macrumors regular

If you're getting into boinx, I've created some extra layers for free that you can include in your productions. they're at http://btvgear.co.cc/ .