ProSwitcher and 4.0?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jackryan57, Aug 7, 2010.

1. jackryan57 macrumors regular

So I upgraded my jailbroken 3Gs to the 4.0 and had some issues. My 3G wouldn't work. I found out that I should restore as new phone instead of from backup and that fixed the issue (lost all my apps etc tho).

Now I find that my favorite JB app ProSwitcher doesn't seem to work with 4.0. Springboard keeps crashing. Any fixes for this? I can't live without ProSwitcher. I wish I never updated.

2. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

ProSwitcher is not and never was planned to be iOS4 compatible. Be careful when updating, especially with major software updates such as iOS3-iOS4. For now, the best solution I've found is using backgrounder with Apples stock multitasking tray with the "Remove Recents" package installed in Cydia. Very similar to what Circuitous was.

3. theinvid macrumors newbie

Why is that and how do you know it won't ever work on ios4? You are breaking my heart.

4. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Hi

I was really bugged when I heard that that ProSwitcher wont be updated for ios 4. I went as far as emailing the developer and offering him a downpayment to get start on the project again. I have not gotten an answer from him but will keep trying until I get an answer. Anyone here interested to pay him for his work?

Thanks
    AE

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I can see from Ryan Petrich's twitter account that he's quite insistent he isn't going to update it himself. Even a paid version is out of the question as he says he hasn't got the time, especially now chpwn has left the project.

Your only hope is another developer branches off a version from the github source code.

6. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

I can't believe they are not going to update this. I know its time consuming, but they can charge for it. I don't want it to be an app like the old ios 3.0 and have to install background. That was old school and was neccessary because iOS at that time didn't have native "multitasking". Now that iOS4 does, I think all they need to do is make take that ugly apple tray and replace it with the proswitcher interface. No app or anything.

Thanks
    AE

7. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Doesn't look like it

8. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

that sucks

Thanks
    AE

9. hlkc macrumors regular

10. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

download 'remove recents' from cydia, this forces every app that does not legitimiately run in the background to not run in the multitasking dock. next, i would set individual permissions for a lot of different apps in backgrounder so they work the way you want. for example, because of apples dumb multitasking feature, many apps (ie notes apps) will run in the background simply because they can. i have set all my notes apps to auto shut down on close rather than run in native. its not as good as proswitcher, but it is wayyyyyyy better than regular multitasking.

11. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Huh? What you talking about man? Proswitcher is an interface that is meant to be combined with backgrounder and such. Because ios3 didn't support multitasking and backgrounder on its own was annoying. For ios3 proswitcher was the perfect app to multitask with. Now that ios4 had native "multitasking" proswitcher from what I would think wouldn't need (but could) to depend on backgrounder. And also wouldn't need to be an app, it would literary replace the ash tray app made.

That's at least how I envision it to be.

Thanks
    AE

12. jackryan57 thread starter macrumors regular

How does removed recents work? I installed it but it is not removing recents...

13. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

It will only remove apps that don't natively support ios 4 backgrounding.

14. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

I like the idea of Remove Recents, but I'd prefer it as an SBSettings toggle. Sometimes the native app switcher is useful for popping in and out of state saved apps. But, when I'm done moving around between apps, I'd like a simple way to close them, and a Remove Recents SBS toggle would be perfect.