Proswitcher app from Cydia?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by redsoxfan626, Aug 3, 2010.

1. redsoxfan626 macrumors member

I have an iPhone 3G running 4.0 and I jailbroke it and have Cydia. I successfully downloaded Winterboard, but when I try to click on Proswitcher, it restarts springboard and goes into safe mode. It only exits safe mode when I delete Proswitcher. Is this because Proswitcher hasn't updated for 4.0 or is there something I did wrong?

2. celticpride678

ProSwitcher hasn't been updated to work on iOS 4 and according to the developer, never will be.

3. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

4. redsoxfan626 thread starter macrumors member

Are there any other multitasking apps that work well?

5. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Why? It looks much better than the stupid drawer apple decided to make. I wish I can remove that drawer and replace it with proswitcher. Without backgrounder or whatever.

Can't we ask for it to be developed in anyway, if we all push they should do it.

Thanks
    AE

6. celticpride678

Not really - there are others (but none have been updated to iOS 4)

I don't know - I'm not the developer. Their main reasoning is that there is already an interface (and that's Apple even if it looks bad).

7. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

why not just activate multitasking on your 3g 4.0? Im betting all jailbroken multitasking apps will just build upon apples from here on out.

8. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

They are really dumb if they don't actually develop it. I don't see how it can be that hard. all they have to do is replace the dependance on backgrounder with the dependance of apple's multitasking. And remove that stupid tray.

Thanks
    AE

9. celticpride678

Yes, but it's not that simple. The file structure completely changed in iOS 4, and it would take a while to figure everything out again.

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Why should they care if you're "pushing" them? They spent hundreds, maybe even thousands of hours developing this and gave it away absolutely free. If they don't feel like putting in hundreds more hours updating it, that's their prerogative.

You do realize it's open source, right? You yourself are welcome to go to http://github.com/rpetrich/ProSwitcher and get started right now on upgrading it. In fact, maybe we should all start pushing you. You owe it to us.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Then you do it. chpwn already said he was leaving the project after finishing the iPad version and rpetrich feels it's a waste of his time working on a free app that has the same functionality as Apple's implementation.

12. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Wow you guys need to chill the hell out. All I asked for is a reason for not doing it? Second of all I didn't ask for it to be free, who said I did? Don't put words in my mouth, if they are willing to redo it for a little money then sure. third of all. I'll look into it and have some of my iPhone developer friends help me out, see where I can go with it.

See above post.

You guys need to go to sleep or something, I didn't push anyone, I only asked why they are not looking into it. they are crazy if they don't people would pay up to $2 or more even for this feature, if its done cleanly and efficiently. THATS ALL!!

THANKS
    AE

13. redsoxfan626 thread starter macrumors member

I know this is a stupid question, but how can I activate multitasking with a 3G? Isn't it only for iPhone 4?

14. celticpride678

15. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I'm taking offence to you saying they are 'really dumb' for not developing it and it's not 'that hard' to code.

16. celticpride678

17. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Actually you are right, they are not "really dumb" I took it emotional. I mean it's a really good idea to create it now that multitasking is in the iOS itself. they don't need to rely on backgrounder or whatever. Plus they can make it for iphone 3G & 3GS.

And it should be easy for people who are developers and who already coded this to move on and make it iOS 4 compatible.

Thanks
    AE

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, you said that the developers were "really dumb" if they didn't update it, said it was easy, and said that they "should" do it. Your posts here have been ignorant and offensive.

I'll "chill the hell out" when you stop acting like a self-entitled little brat and insulting developers who have been responsible not only for ProSwitcher but for tools and libraries that underlie almost everything worth doing on a jailbroken iPhone.

19. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Ok now you are getting on my nerve man. I said already that calling them dumb was wrong of me. I told you that they should and are crazy for not taking to the next level. It can be sold and can run very nicely along side apple's multitasking. They can't just say its not worth it now that apple has its own version. I'm just disappointed they don't go further. And yes you need to chill the hell out. I'm not a brat you fool, I just know that its a very good project they did and that they needed to take it to the next level. And last but not least you have no idea who you calling a brat. I'm an Aerospace Engineering, I know what its like to work on great projects and not taking them to the next level is crazy. So shut up and don't call me a friggin brat you don't know me.

Later,
    AE

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Guys, a little more respect is well deserved for devs that provide us with all these cool jb tools.
    Their countless hours of hard work, dedication and determination is amazing.
    For any of us to come in here and say we should push them to do this or they're dumb for that is childish.

21. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

I didn't disrespect them. I just said it would be dumb of them not to move with this project and get it working for iOS4. he took it all personal an started going off on me. I support and respect them and unlike many here (maybe including this above mentioned guy), I pay for all apps (both app store and cydia apps). I even donated to the jailbreak guy as soon as I saw it and installed it. I just said it would be dumb and when he pointed out that they are not dumb I agreed and said it was wrong from my side, and that they would be crazy not to go ahead and get it working for iOS4 and maybe charge for it. Thats all really.

Thanks
    AE

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok, we can all breath in and out a few times and relax then:D
    Too much tension lately.
    Woosah....

23. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Ok cool

Thanks
    AE

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I'm gonna throw my two cents into the barrell..

Perhaps others do not feel the need for the modifications you want.
    Since you have already said it is not that hard to code, why don't you make a version which includes the features you would like ?
    Ryan certainly is not really dumb.
    He is a great developer who gives very quick support for his apps, most of which he does not even charge for.

The forum members you are disputing this with have alot of time here, perhaps you should give their opinions some thought. I know I certainly respect their knowledge !