Protect camera lens?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikethebigo, Jun 20, 2009.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Hi all, I'm new to the iPhone game and just had a quick question. I have a screen protector on the front, but do I need to do anything to protect the camera lens on the back? From what cases I have seen, most cases don't seem to cover the lens itself. Should I just not worry about it?

Thanks for any info.

2. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

you could like... stick a gummy bears foot on there or something when youre not using it... it should stick fairly well... it'll cushion any blows..

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm a big fan of cases. They don't cover the camera but they do make the lens recessed so it can't be scratched without something poking in there. Unlike the back of the phone which is cosmetic, scratching the lens would be a serious loss of functionality for me. I have to believe that replacing the lens would be less of an ordeal than the screen but I could be wrong.

With all that said, many people use their phone caseless and don't worry about it. You just gave me one more reason to use my case that I hadn't thought of before. :D I suppose it matters what you are protecting it from. For example, a drop is very different than sand in your pocket. You'll find people on both side of the fence here.

4. dagomike macrumors 65816

Yeah, get a case and use a good cleaner and cloth on it.

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I will add to be very careful about what type of cleaner you use. I took a quick look and didn't see what the lens cover is made of and if it has any type of coating. I think you would be safe with any sort of optical cleaner but that is a guess. I use a dry cloth made to clean glasses.

6. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

So basically it sounds like I should use a case so that it recesses the lens, but most people don't use anything that specifically covers the lens, right? I guess I have to assume the lens is scratch resistant enough to handle being in the same pocket as keys, etc.

Thanks for all the help