Protect Display from Keys making marks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by LightOnAHill, Aug 3, 2011.

1. LightOnAHill macrumors regular

I see that the computer shipped with a microfiber sheet of paper that apparently protected the screen.

I have seen other apple affectionados using some piece of cloth or something to put between their keyboard and the screen whenever they close the laptop.

My question, IS THIS NECESSARY FOR THE AIR? What say ye?

2. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I was worried about this, too, when I got my 2010 MBA, but I didn't use the sheet during the 14 day return period to see if the screen would be affected (this does happen on my HP laptop), and I haven't used anything to protect the screen from the keyboard since then, and it looks perfect.

3. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I think if you compress the lid as in a backpack then there is some danger of the keys rubbing against the screen. Under normal use, the danger is minimal, but I carry my laptop in a bag and usually in my car where there is a lot of jostling so I use the shaggymac. Using a microfiber cloth totally prevents any marks, just make sure ht e cloth is always clean and buy a very thin one so that the lid can close without stressing the hinges.

4. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

As robby said, if you put pressure on the mba the keys will touch the screen.
    I haven't had any trouble with mine in my bag, however my neoprene case causes a lot of oil transfer.

5. ttran88 macrumors regular

get a screen protector which also removes glare if you got a antiglare one

6. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

A screen protector... on a laptop? Talk about one pointless piece of plastic.

7. coelacanth macrumors 6502

In my experience with several MacBooks including 2010 MBA 11" and the original 13" Air, you can clean the keyboard marks right off with appropriate screen cleaner. I didn't see any permanent scratches on the panel. My computer is usually in an inner sleeve then to a bag, commute by bicycle, motorcycle, packed buses and car so it's seen good amount of pressure to the lid although not abused. I think you don't have to worry too much. Just clean properly once in a while.

8. ttran88 macrumors regular

How is it pointless if its protecting your screen from scratches while also reducing glare? :confused:

9. marrzie macrumors regular

Because he says it is. Duh.

10. Tootles macrumors member

The keys are plastic, not something that can scratch the glass screen.

11. robby818 macrumors 6502a

The screen is not glass on the MBA.

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

use a plain piece of paper ... works and cost is cheap

13. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Paper, made from wood is very abrasive and will scratch for sure.

I've always used one of these. Year after year.

http://is.gd/u5A7k0

14. Tootles macrumors member

Why the hell does Apple continually produce laptops that exhibit this problem? It's been like ten years, now, since I first heard of it happening. There's got to be a scratch-proof material that's a suitable screen surface. I'd totally trade the stupid, backlit keyboard feature for a scratch-proof, non-glass screen.

15. fazo macrumors newbie

Keyboard Scratching Macbook Air Screen

Yes, it is necessary. My MBA 2013 keyboard scratched the screen heavily, looks like I have another "space bar" and "command" key on my screen surface. Luckily the MBA is 2 weeks old, and I've sent to Apple Service Provider for warranty claim and they replaced the whole lid with a new one, in 3 days time. They said the reason why keyboard is touching the screen is because when I put my MBA in my backpack, books inside the backpack putting pressure on the MBA lid, which makes the screen in contact with keyboard.

To protect your screen, you don't need to buy those fancy expensive micro fibre cloth, just use a piece of A4 paper, place it on the keyboard before you close the lid, it will do the job well.

----------

Unfortunately, it did. My 2 weeks old MBA experienced it. And I've read somewhere that MBA screen is not glass, it is plastic.

16. fizzler macrumors member

I bought a handmade sleeve for my MBA and after reading about several people saying that their screen had scratched using sleeves, I decided to use the piece of protective paper that the macbook ships with until the leather loosened up a bit.

If I was putting my MBA in a full bag of stuff, I would probably use the piece of paper, just for peace of mind. I don't think that scratches would happen from most general handling though.

17. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

18. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

19. ayres macrumors regular

Take a step back and ask, 'what are the marks?'

I've familiar with the issue but never had it happen to me. It's probably not permanent, and is simply an oil imprint from the keys.

Now, I'm not a neat freak, but I do clean my keyboard about once every week with a disposable wet lens cloth. You know, the one that you get at costco and comes in a box of a million for, like, $10. It keeps the keys and screen, and the whole damn thing looking brand new (I don't use any type of shells or coverings).

20. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Never had this problem on my 2011 MBA. I am visiting the friend that I sold it to right now and she has taken it all over the world. No marks. No marks on my 2013 MBA either.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Even if there are marks, you probably wouldn't notice them unless the screen is turned off, and I don't look at mine when it's off. :)

21. cyber16 macrumors 6502

a low cost thin microfiber cloth will do the trick on the cheap
    Then its always there for those that just have to touch the screen on a non-touch computer ;)

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can't see the marks when my computer is on (only when it's off).

If it bothers you, just wipe it off.