Protect MBP from theft

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shahidkapoor, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Shahidkapoor macrumors member

Shahidkapoor

Hello everyone,

Currently I'm staying in a dorm room. How can I protect my MBP? I've already searched the forum and I know about the Preyproject. But I want to protect it like Physically ..something like Kensington lock. I've heard that the kensington lock doesn't fit the 2011 macbook pro's properly and causes lot of wear and tear around the slot. Is it true? and is the metal cable/ wire strong enough?

Can anyone please recommend other stuffs like any metal briefcase or some other lock which is available in the UK. The thing is I don't carry it everyday to the Uni. So I just leave it in my dorm.

any suggestions would be appreciated.
    :)

2. mgartner0622, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

I would not recommend a Kensington lock. Most models do put wear marks on the computer, and most of the time they are incredibly easy to cut/hack/figure out/pull free. They key based ones you can even open with a sliver of metal from a Coke can.

Best security advice? Lock the door to your room.

EDIT: Image taken from this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=459463

[​IMG]

3. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

A Kensington lock may cause cosmetic issues, but the side of your MBP is quite thick. I can pretty much guarantee you that if someone tries to dislodge your Kensington lock (ie. steal your computer) that you will notice some damage from their attempts.

We and tear depends on how you treat it when you are attaching/detaching the lock. If you are gentle and precise, there won't be too much.

The question you have to ask yourself is whether or you think the protection of the Kensington lock is more important than the cosmetics of your computer.

To me, a computer is just a tool. I don't care to show it off, I don't care if it gets cosmetically damaged as long as it works (and as long as it doesn't get stolen.

You may feel differently.

As to the security of a Kensington-style lock, just like the lock on your door, or on your car, they keep the honest people honest.

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

This, combined with insurance.

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Pacsafe

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

Its products are available in the U.K. There is a store locator on the website. Perhaps you can get something that will be dual-purpose such as a Pacsafe that will protect your bag when traveling. I use one when I travel to Europe and I travel with minimal baggage; it packs into a tiny self-contained package.

I also recommend Undercover by Orbicule, a theft-recovery service in Belgium.

6. Shahidkapoor thread starter macrumors member

Shahidkapoor

Ouch! That looks really bad!
    About locking the door, erm.. I always lock it but currently I'm sharing a room, so the other room mate also has a key. :(

----------

Thanks Mojo, that was really helpful.:)

7. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

The picture that was posted is of a non-unibody MBP. The unibody MBP is significantly different in a couple of ways that would be critical to evaluating the damage.

8. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

That may be true that it is a multibody MacBook pictured, however I have seen a Best Buy store display 13" Pro that fell of the display table with the lock attached. It actually looked much worse, the aluminum around the lock spit and was pulled out slightly, rendering the slot unusable. The picture above was just the best one I could find by searching the forum.

EDIT-
    O/P, You may want to have a look at this related thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1275044

9. thundersteele, Dec 3, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

thundersteele macrumors 68030

Take it with you.

Yeah, that might sound like a good idea, but in some dorms a bunch of other people have keys to your room like e.g. the janitor, cleaning staff, room mate etc. A lock might provide some extra protection against casual theft in such a case.

Concerning the picture:
    That's from an old non-unibody MBP, and it shows a lot of damage that is either from an attempted theft or from bad use of the lock. The non-unibody lock slot has a small plastic coating that is missing in the picture, and the exterior damage can only be explained either by trying to force a locked lock into the slot, or by an attempt to rip it out.

I just tried to use my Kensington lock in the unibody MBP, and I can't get it to lock without applying a lot of pressure. This might be because it's new, after a few tries it gets easier. There is no plastic coating, so there is more chance to scratch the body.

edit: while I was typing this, most of the above points were already mentioned by other people... too slow!

10. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

Yeah, something about fragile equipment being thrown off a desk while tethered to it tends to make them look bad. The lock probably saved a busted display.

If your computer is your pride and joy, trophy of a status symbol, then by all means don't lock it up. If you would like to keep it, lock it up.

11. Takashi macrumors regular

I know this probably sound ridiculous, but I would take your computer where ever you go. The kingston locks are merely a deterrent. Anyone with a good set of cable cutters can cut right through the steel cable and swipe your computer with the lock attached. If you can physically secure it onto the table (bolt and screw through a steel frame) like in some computer stores, then you might have a better chance of "protecting" it.

12. praetorx macrumors regular

1. Hide it
    2. Rent a safe deposit box at your bank. I believe there are some that would be big enough to fit a 15" MBP.
    3. Take it with you

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sandpaper the outer case so it looks like crap. Nobody will want to steal it then.

14. randomrazr macrumors 65816

15. Steve's Barber, Dec 4, 2011

Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I think that's all the cable lock systems are supposed to be - a highly visible means to deter impulsive thieves. In high traffic areas (like a dorm or library) that should take care of most people's needs.

If somebody want your macbook, they'll get it.

16. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

Kensington locks are worthless: just look on youtube for the many videos showing them picked or cut in 2-3 seconds.

Pacsafe is not a bad solution if you use it properly with an appropriate sized bag.

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Seriously, millions of people with houses full of valuables simply lock the door when they leave. Why isn't this a viable option for a dorm room?

I mean, I had a dorm room once, I locked my door when I left and nobody stole any of my stuff. It's a pretty good system.

18. SayMilesAway macrumors regular

SayMilesAway

Because he is not the only one with access to the room.

19. sfoalex macrumors 6502

That and the rookie has to lock the door too. I shared a flat and my roommates, both of them, would constantly forget to lock the door. And turn the stove off... That's another story.

I bought a backpack and simply carried my laptop with me everywhere. You could buy a small safe and anchor it to something so they don't attempt to take the whole safe. Those can cost around $200 or $300. Amazon sells them by the way. Good for other things too, such as your passport, birth cert, and other items you want to keep away from simple theft.

20. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

Take it with you, no worries, no hassle, no problems.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Physical control is the only way to be sure; Kensington type locks are only a deterrent at best and can be defeated, the true Kensington locks have very secure locking mechanisms, however all these cable type locks are vulnerable to physical attack by strong hands an a pair of cutters.

For peace of mind best route is to have the machine insured, dont flaunt it in public, keep it secured out of sight, dont leave your room unlocked for any reason, if you share size up your room mates ASAP.

Personally a 2K notebook I would keep as close as possible, within reason even if you do not need the computer for class take it with you...

22. Benbikeman macrumors 6502a

Benbikeman

23. mgartner0622, Dec 4, 2011

mgartner0622

Exactly the point I was trying to make above.
    If a MacBook Pro can fall off a table with the lock attached and the lock comes out, with just the weight of the notebook combined the force of gravity, why can't a crook that wants to steal your MacBook just pull on it, especially when someone that is determined can easily pull harder than the force of gravity?
    Basically what I was trying to explain above with my example of the Best Buy display unit that fell off the table and broke the lock slot was that it really does not require much force at all to defeat this type of lock.

24. ezramoore macrumors 6502a

I would be happy to hook a Kensington lock up to my MBP and let you try to pull it out.

Even if they are easily picked, picking a lock (any lock) is a skill. It might not be hard, but in a dorm room you're usually not dealing with skilled criminals. You are dealing with crimes of opportunity. As I have said, and as at least one other person has said, the Kensington lock is a deterrent, like any lock.

25. mgartner0622, Dec 4, 2011

mgartner0622

I think my above threads have been somewhat misunderstood. Will it stop the average person from just walking in and walking out with your computer? Sure it will. I never was trying to argue against this. However, if there is a thief that is determined to walk away with your MacBook, nothing will stop them short of a (securely) locked door, a very large safe that is too heavy to carry away (and also not a feasible solution) or the computer not being there in the first place.
    The only variable you can control is yourself. If you always have the computer with you, there is no chance it can be stolen. When I was at school and didn't need my computer, I would put it in my car, and park directly in front of a parking lot security camera. I never had a problem. Even with a Kensington lock, you can't control other people that could attempt to steal it, or even not be trying to steal it but knock it off the table with the lock attached, and cause unintended damage. Again, the only variable you can control is yourself, and that is why I suggest you take it with you every chance you get.