Protected Videos and iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by scarr6, Jul 13, 2015.

1. scarr6 macrumors newbie

I am currently working on a project for school, composing a score for The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Not all of the pertinent clips are on Youtube for download. I bought the movie in iTunes and tried to edit it down into smaller files in iMovie, but it would not let me import the file as it is protected. Is there a way change the protected status and edit it?

2. lht0747 macrumors newbie

lht0747

3. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Generally, YouTube doesn't use Digital Rights Management so it shouldn't be "locked." Are you sure you have downloaded the video version and are you sure it is in the correct format to import into iMovie.

Lastly, this is the MacBook Pro hardware forum... probably would have been best to ask this question in the Digital Media forum ;) The folks in there will more likely have a straight answer for you.

4. lht0747 macrumors newbie

lht0747

Maybe the video is protected by DRM.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

iTunes video is protected by DRM, this means you have to crack that protection to do anything with it, this is illegal and anything you produce with it will be illegal too. It can be done there are software packages you can buy to do, it but it's not worth it for a school project just use what you can get legally.

6. lht0747 macrumors newbie

lht0747

Yeah, it is iTunes' basic source of income. You are not allowed to edit and transfer. It is bound with your iTunes account.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Just throwing this out here -

I don't know if it is possible to do a "screen" copy with audio but that might work as you play the movie via iTunes. This requires a software that simply makes a copy of whatever is on your screen (and some do audio as well).

Alternative - get the DVD of the movie and a software decryption application so you can remove encryption and possibly take all the "vob" files and merge them into a final large vob of the movie. You may need to convert the vob into a format iMovie will use.