PROTECTED WMA FILES IN ITUNES?

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
is there any software that will play WMA protected files on the mac and esp. in itunes even if it has to go thru a 3rd party program first.

Tyler

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I'm sorry, but no, this isn't possible - why did you buy a lossy, incompatible format like WMA in the first place? MP3 and AAC are easiest to work with.

Comment

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
this is a lazy answer (no search or google), but what about burning to CD on a PC, then ripping into mp3 or AAC?

Comment

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Scottyk9 said:
this is a lazy answer (no search or google), but what about burning to CD on a PC, then ripping into mp3 or AAC?
virtual pc wont let me burn, finding someone with pc and transfering files is a pain. just let me play it on mac and i'll use audio hijack to rip it. I don't trust the audio playback from virtual pc.

Comment

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
WMP9 has limited ability to play protected files on Macs. If it won't play your files, though, I don't think you have a lot of hope of getting them to play on a Mac in much of any way outside of VPC. :(

Comment

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
mkrishnan said:
WMP9 has limited ability to play protected files on Macs. If it won't play your files, though, I don't think you have a lot of hope of getting them to play on a Mac in much of any way outside of VPC. :(
alright then, anyone know of a WIN program that either lets me convert protected WMA files to WAVS or AIFFs?

Tyler

Comment

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
OR of a program that will burn the protected wma files onto an audio CD. Toast won't let me. iTunes won't either.

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
WMA doesn't play on Macs too well if at all, and protected WMA is worse.

1) You should yell at yourself for buying a protected WMA. BAD! iTunes is the only good thing - and REAL but that doesnt work on iPods anymore.

2) Go to anywhere that has a computer, like an office that you work it, and take the pWMAs and use a program like Nero or maybe even Windows XP's built in burner, burn them to a CD, rip, and get less quality music...

Why would you buy a protected WMA? I have windows and don't have ANY WMAs... its so stupid, WMAs dont even work on older versions of software!

Imagine Protected AACs changing in like iTunes 5 so they can not be played on iTunes 4 and below? Thats what WMA does.

Hope this helps but WMA is a bad format.

(And for proof its bad, go to microsoft's website, look for windows media format, and look for "MP3 vs. WMA" it has an OK mp3 @ 192 kbps, and a DIFFERENT SONG for WMA @ 192 kbps VBR. The WMA sounds better because it is a different song...)

Comment

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Fuquay Varina, NC
TyleRomeo said:
OR of a program that will burn the protected wma files onto an audio CD. Toast won't let me. iTunes won't either.
Well if you got the songs from MusicMatch, it will burn them to CD just fine

If you got the songs from a friend - you're on your own. :rolleyes:

Weird that you have all these WMA files and no PC :confused:

Comment

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
If you got them from NapsterToGo you better continue paying or else your music is GONE!

Comment