Protecting data on iPhone4S

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ScottBonis, Jun 14, 2012.

1. ScottBonis macrumors newbie

I would like to keep a listing of several dozen screen names and passwords on my iPhone4s to use when I'm in wifi hotspots in foreign countries. But I'm concerned about losing the iPhone and the finder having some very valuable data on the phone which could wipe me out financially.

Is there some app for an iPhone that will let me encode the list with an overall password and then reconstitute the data when I need the information?

I can keep the data as a spreadsheet (preferable), text file, jpeg, pdf, word processor, etc.

I know the system could easily be broken by any good hacker but it would stop the casual thief and certainly would give me a little time to notify a whole bunch of people if necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions, Scott

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4S cannot be broken into if it has a passcode set on it. Put a passcode on it, even a simple four digit one, and keep its firmware up to date.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have it backwards. Your phone is not the problem... foreign, public wifi hotspots are the weakness in your plan.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Use an encrypted password keeper app. There are a bunch of them in the store.

5. Nam Pla macrumors member

I needed something like this for the exact reasons the OP stated. I use an app called mSecure. I don't remember the cost, but there's also a companion Mac app for your pc that syncs with your iPhone. (I think it was around $20 for the two apps.) I purchased both, and I find them quite good, easy to use, and syncs with no problems every time.

You can keep all your personal info readily handy. Passwords, passport number, credit card numbers, and even birthdays and clothes sizes for forgetful folks like me. :)

I'm sure there's plenty of similar apps available. Search around and read reviews and choose what fits your needs.

6. Grayn macrumors newbie

unlock iphone 4s

yes i would even like to add here about iPhone 4S that if it has the passcode it can not be broken and you must be sure about you have already installed firmware.
    unlock iphone 4s

7. Grayn macrumors newbie

unlock iphone 4s

yes i would even like to add here about iPhone 4S that if it has the passcode it can not be broken and you must be sure about you have already installed firmware.
    unlock iphone 4s