Protecting iMac: APC Power Conditioner + UPS?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lyrrad721, Aug 18, 2010.

1. lyrrad721 macrumors regular

I have an APC H15 Power Conditioner and just bought an iMac 27'' and want to protect it against power failures. I was wondering if I could connect the power conditioner to the wall outlet and then a UPS on the conditioner. The iMac would be connected to the battery backup outlet in the UPS. Also, IF this can be done, in which outlet should I connect the UPS on the APC H15; Digital Filter or High Current filter? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Recommendations of UPS devices are welcomed!

2. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Surf its manual at: http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z7V8X_R0_EN.pdf

See Page 8 - Section 1.

-----------

AC-Powered Outlets
    The H15 Power Conditioner provides for connection of up to
    twelve (12) AC-powered devices. The outlets are arranged
    according to the type of filtering protection provided for a given application. These Isolated Noise Filter Banks eliminate electromagnetic and radio frequency interference that can negatively impact sound and video quality. APC recommends you plug your devices into the outlets as marked, in order to assure optimum protection for your equipment. The outlets are further defined in the following:

Digital Filter Outlets provides filtering of the incoming AC power to protected your most sensitive digital devices (CD, DVD, DVR, CATV/SAT, Monitor, and AUX (one auxiliary digital device).

Note: Any digital device can be plugged into the digital outlets, any video device can be plugged into either of the video outlets, etc. Example, if you have a cable box and a satellite receiver, but no monitor, you can plug the cable box into the "CATV/SAT" outlet, and the satellite receiver into the "Monitor" outlet.

Video Filter Outlets provide filtering for your video devices (TV and VCR).

Analog Filter Outlets provide filtering for your analog-based equipment (Tuner/AUX and Preamp/Receiver). High Current Filter Outlets provide filtering for your highcurrent devices (Subwoofer and Amplifier).

--------------

They don't make it very clear for "computers" do they. Based on this info, I'd use Digital Filter Outlets. Especially with the statement of "most sensitive digital devices" and "monitor" in the same grouping. If unsure, you can call them at "888-88APCAV". I'm sure they can confirm - from their Tech Support perspective.

Good luck....

3. ronzoninj macrumors newbie

I have the same setup for my 24/7 work computers. For them, we noticed issues due to dirty power and have been 100% rock solid since the upgrade.

I would recommend this:

Wall Outlet -> UPS -> Line Conditioner ->iMac

The line conditioner should always be the last thing before the computer. If there is a power failure, the battery power from the UPS isn't very clean - we've tested and seen our line conditioner indicate it's spiky, so the line conditioner was able to clean that too!

You might want to try Tripp-Lite - they are really good and less expensive. We get a $100 UPS and a $100 conditioner and we're golden.

4. lyrrad721 thread starter macrumors regular

That was one of my concerns, I appreciate your time and help, thanks.

Great info, I will put in practice your recommendation. I will check at Best Buy for an APC UPS, can't wait to connect my iMac! :D

5. radesousa macrumors member

6. dagomike macrumors 65816

I've got a voltage regulator I picked up somewhere years ago. For the longest time I thought it was just a bad-ass power strip, but it's a hulk of a box. I hear it regularly click on to boost the voltage up.

I was thinking of getting another just because they're not that expensive and the unit I have is pretty old. I'll probably just repurpose it in the home theatre.

This is what I'm looking at from APC:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009RA60/

I've seen UPS not kick on until there's no power. Unless it has a regulator, that can't be good.

7. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

good thread but could someone explain the power conditioner?

I'm lost on the term: power conditioner? From what I understand in this thread it seems like a UPS unit itself is no longer enough?

I've used APC UPS in the distant past and am considering the iBox from OWC. I have a Tripp-Lite surge strip but with the unpredictable electrical wiring in our apartment would like something strong enough for my new iMac.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I would be using this for the iMac, airport express, cable modem and external hard drive.

Thanks guys.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

Anyone else chime in but...

Line conditioning removes signal noise via grounding.

Surge protection = protects from power spikes.

voltage regulators will increase or decrease voltage to provide consistent 120v. So protection from spikes and browns.

Backup provides DC power when AC is lost.

AVR I would think is the most important. I wouldn't buy a UPS without auto voltage regulation. I'm sure YMMV on AVRs, but I have no idea on that.

9. ronzoninj macrumors newbie

A power conditioner is a surge protector but better.

Let's say the typical household service is 120v. Well throughout the day, you'll have 110v-125v fluctuations and also the occasional spike.

The surge protector blocks the spikes while the power conditioner actually uses capacitors/etc to boost the 110v to 120v and reduce the 125v to 120v.

What you have is very even, smooth power. All the power conditioners I have protect against surges and lightning strikes. You can get a good one for $90 - well worth it!

This one is great but it does "click" when it has to jump between good power and over/under. So if you have dirty power, you'll hear some clicking. I like it because it lets me know it's working:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-LC1200-Conditioner-Protection/dp/B0000512LA

10. lyrrad721 thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up buying an APC UPS 1,000VA (600Watts) with Automatic Voltage Regulation. Now I am all set, all I have to do is assemble the desk that I bought and connect teh new iMac to the APC H15 power conditioner and UPS :D I have only used it for about an hour since it was delivered on Monday, checking for common problems and it came out perfect (KNOCK ON WOOD). I didn't want to risk it :p
    Thanks for the replies!

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

I would just say that in the A/V world you can have power conditioners that don't regulate the voltage. They just clean the line of any ground loops or other potential interference and provide surge protection. A conditioner may regulate, but I would make sure it specifically lists auto voltage reg.

12. LastQuadrant macrumors member

If you have the money and want a REALLY good line conditioner and UPS in one, then check out Richard Gray Power Company. It's a little more pricey (usually for a good reason), here's a link. http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/pdf/ups/ups8_cutsheet.pdf

It's a lot easier to get a really good line conditioner/UPS rather than one of each that aren't as good.

I have the CyberPower 825AVR, which works well as a UPS, but line conditioning? NOPE. It's not that good at that.

My next purchase is definitely going to be the Richard Gray's stuff. I think it's around $400 or so, which is a little more pricey, but I'm sure its going to be worth the money for those that need a good UPS/line conditioner.