Protecting Information no MBP 2015 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newyorkcity, Jun 26, 2015.

1. newyorkcity macrumors member

I just got a brand new MBP and before I set it up what is the best way to protect my data on it? Some people say Firevault 2, but is this a good option or is there better options? Does it slow the computer down any? Anything else I should consider?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

FileVault doesn't slow down the computer. FV2 uses XTA-AES-128 and AES-256, and these two are practically uncrackable. It'd still take millions (if not thousands) of years for all the most powerful computers in the world combined to crack these two.

Afaik, there isn't anything better than AES as of yet.

3. newyorkcity thread starter macrumors member

is there any disadvantages to enabling firevault 2 that I should know about?

4. mlsusa macrumors regular

Don't forget your password and make sure you have your recovery in a safe place. If you forget your password and can't find or get to your recovery key, nothing can be done by Apple to help you unlock the drive and you're data is inaccessible. Apple not having other options to unlock the drive is by design and part of keeping your data secure.

Not so much a disadvantage, more like something you shouldn't take lightly.

5. newyorkcity thread starter macrumors member

sounds great! thanks!

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It does actually cause a minor slowdown in read/write speeds, but it's nothing you'll ever notice in real world usage.

7. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

This is only true regarding brute force attacks. Mathematical attacks break encryption algorithms faster (RC4, MD5, SHA-1 are already broken). The usual weak passwords play also a big role.