Protecting my keyboard/top case/wrist rest (BlackBook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BlackThunder, Apr 18, 2008.

1. BlackThunder macrumors member

Ok, so I got my topcase replaced on my BlackBook and I'm determined to protect this one from the dreaded shiny trackpad and worn out keys and palm wrests.

Do the keyboard covers still making typing easy?

Do the trackpad covers affect mouse accuracy?

Do the palm rest protectors stop the macbook from closing all the way?

Does it have to look ugly?

I'm open to suggestions...

[​IMG]

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

HA this I know LOL. The Malware pad/cover def does allow the lid to close all the way as my wife has one on her MB. She has the white so her pad/cover is offwhite to match the inside of the MB. They have black. Some people say these are bad as removing them leaves a film but it def is nice and keeps her wrists from being attacked from the edge. To each his own.

The malware pad/cover is opinionated as to whether it looks ugly or not.

As far as covering the whole MB, certainly lots of products will be suggested.

InCase, Speck, Invisible Shield are just a few.

My wife has an aqua speck case. Even though it hasn't given her MB any of the scratches people have claimed to have (we follow the directions and keep both items clean and the MB is STILL in awsome shape since Thxgiving of last year) I'm actually going the invisible shield route come Mothers day.

I'll be keeping her Malware pad on as she likes the surface and it's still clean and in good shape. The bottom of the MB will have an invisible shield, the top will actually have a custom skin with our kids pictures on it.

I'm actually curious about the keys and trackpad myself.

Just some thoughts from another MB owner. Good luck in your decision.

3. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

if you want a cheap effective skin for the inside of your macbook this is the most economical one you can get.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/KeyBoard-Silicon...oryZ4601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it's from ebay. i have the exact same one.
    its about $10 shipped.

It does not cover the track pad though.
    it does cover the entire keyboard and palm area.

It is a little slower to type on because you now have increased friction, but you get used to it.Easy on, Easy off.

The malware one is pretty sweet, i used to have it.. but it was $20 plus tax.. this is the cheaper solution.

4. BlackThunder thread starter macrumors member

geesh people it's MARware not MALware... I'm trying to google it and nothing was coming up lol... and both you guys were saying it!

But I looked at it and went for the cheaper one... I like the idea of one unit covering the palm rest and the keyboard. Thing looks water proof too which is a plus for random splatter or whatever... but mainly to keep crumbs out cuz I'm a computer snacker..

I ordered it and should have it in 2 weeks.. (Cuz its coming all the way from Hong Kong) but in the mean time I'll just leave the clear plastic sticker on the palm wrest that came with the new top cover. I also ordered some trackpad skinz.... i'll see how they work.. right now I'm using saran wrap, it actually works pretty well, aside from looking like [explicit]... Overkill? Probably.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

ROFLMAO Sorry my excuse is typing and talking about virus protection to my wife's mom on the phone.

Talk about not being able to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Yes it IS MARware. And it's nice. The padding is great, better than just putting a skin job there.

Malware.. holycrap where was my head :rolleyes:

This is where I'm going to get the top skin for my wife's MB: Unique Skins

6. steinlager macrumors regular

I personally don't recommend putting on the trackpad cover. I used to have it with invisible shield and the accuracy and sensitivity just isn't the same. I have an external mouse anyway, so I don't really use the trackpad much. But when I'm in class, I only use the trackpad, and it's frustrating if you can't click at the right place..... and fall behind in lecture. :mad:

So I took it off and don't regret it. For some reason I still fall behind in lecture... :rolleyes:

7. chris001 macrumors regular

chris001

yeah it is pretty handy... water proof ur right. it's silicon. so no worries there.

***Crap! i forgot to mention.. sorry.

the only downside to this this skin is that you'll get some type of residue from the silicon case onto ur macbook.. <-- not as bad as it sounds..

ie. you know the marks ur palm's make on the palm area. it kind of transfer through the silicon case and leaves it on the actual unit. however, it is really easy to clean off? i don't know what it is.. i think it is just the properties of the silicon case?

it doesn't show up on the keys only the palm and click button area.

btw. in the begining you'll find it doesn't fully stay properly... but over time it'll wear in and conform perfectly to ur macbook. just give it a couple weeks.