Protecting my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hayden21, Apr 19, 2008.

1. hayden21 macrumors member

Okay so I made the plunge and got a MacBook Pro over a MacBook, and two things that are worrying me is the fact that my screen seems to dim and then brighten at random, when there is no change in light whatsoever. The other issue which is what this thread is about is the durability. I have yet to start using computer as my primary laptop because I am so worried that it will get dinged up or dented. My HP is plastic so it can take a pretty big beating and it cost three times less what the MBP cost, I just want to know the best way to protect it from say my bookback and general wear and tear.

2. kevzy macrumors member

I bet that the random dimming you're having is when you're typing?

This happened to me so much when I switched a few weeks ago.

It was driving me crazy. What I was doing was during a pause in typing, resting my hands at the sides of the keyboard just over the speakers. I presume I was blocking the light sensor thingy which was activating the backlit keyboard and thus dimming the screen.

On your other question I've been bringing my MBP to college everyday since I got it. I have a carry case when travelling around but none of those plastic covers thingys. I've bumped it and hit it off a few things but it's still perfect. It's surprisingly durable.

3. a4abt macrumors regular

The dimming issue comes from what Kevy said; you are blocking the light sensors and the MBP adjusts the brightness automatically.

As for durability, I bring my MBP everyday to University and it still looks as good as new. I always carry the notebook is a protective sleeve, and I never leave it unattended.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you don't like the ambient light sensor doing this, just disable it in system preferences.

5. hayden21 thread starter macrumors member

Sure enough that is exactly why my screen dims, I was getting worried something was wrong with the computer.

Okay so I have found three different companies that have products to protect the MBP and I wonder which one is the best.

1)InvisibleShield
    2)Speck
    3)BestSkinever

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I second doing this, and can't it be done for the backlit keyboard also?

As far as protection, I personally don't think it is necessary, and actually don't know anyone who uses it with their MB/P, but the only company I have heard of in that list is InvisibleShield. Try searching around Google for reviews on all three. Try Apple.com also