Protecting Retina Screen from Scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by No Regrets, Sep 1, 2014.

1. No Regrets macrumors regular

Hello all,

I just recently purchased the Late Oct 2013 15" Retina from the refurb store and had a question about the screen.

The computer came with a very thin liner that was sandwiched between the keyboard and the screen. I presumed to keep the keys from scratching/marring the screen?

Do you all continue to use this for protection?

Do you use something else for protection?

Do you not use anything and all is fine with no resulting marring or scratching of the screen?

Just wondering as I'd like to keep the screen pristine for my viewing pleasure :)

Thanks for any and all input!

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. Anitramane macrumors 6502

It won’t scratch without it. If it does scratch without it there is something wrong with your machine. Having any kind of screen protection is unnecessary, unless you put sharp objects on the screen which I hope you don’t do.

4. leman macrumors 604

Its glass, it doesn't scratch easily. Take care not to put hard objects (like stones etc.) on your keyboard when you are closing the lid, and you should not have any problems.

5. No Regrets thread starter macrumors regular

No, I'm very careful with all of my things. I just assumed ( I know I shouldn't do that...lol) that because Apple placed a thin removable sheet of protection between the keyboard and the screen, that maybe there is an issue to be worried about if nothing is used there. So I thought i'd ask for other user's experiences.

I've been using that same thin sheet that came with the computer, but it is a pain in the arse.

6. longthizzz macrumors regular

i have a screen protector from moshi since day 1 , love it - it keeps my screen and once in a while i will use a paper towel to wipe the screen protector

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

No need for any protection

Anything between the keyboard and the screen will lower the clearance and maybe attract dust etc will will actually increase the chance of scratching your screen.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The piece of foam between the screen and the keyboard from the factory is prevent you from getting a computer with impressions of the keyboard on the screen. These impressions can almost always be wiped off from the screen if it should happen to you. These impressions occur before the top list is somewhat flexible any press on it may cause the screen to touch the keyboard. In a box , this is unlikely, but when you first open the computer it's possible you will do this even by accident. I'm sure a lot people would come on here to complain if their computers came with keyboard impressions on the screen if it was their own doing. There is absolutely no need to keep this piece of foam unless you have a habit of the keeping the packaging for resale use.

That all said, you are interested, you can purchase a screen protector for your screen. Be warned of several issues:
    1) A glossy screen protector will introduce a lot of glare to the screen, more so than if a regular glossy display;
    2) An antiglare screen protector would help with glare, but will cause the rainbow effect, even with the best screen protectors.

Personally I have the latter, a PowerSupport antiglare screen protector. I am used to the effects and no longer notice them. They were definitely distracting in the beginning, but not anymore.

Good luck!