Protecting sensitive info

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TranceNW, Apr 23, 2008.

1. TranceNW macrumors regular

Hi all

I havent, but if i was to lose my iPhone (god forbid) how would i go about preventing my personal emails being read by anybody else?

I have my iphone set up to receive my google mail over imap.

Thanks in advance

2. operator207 macrumors 6502

When you lose your iphone, rush to a computer and change your gmail password.

If the iphone is caching any of those emails, those would be viewable to whomever gets your iphone.

You might consider password protecting your iphone. Ya its a hassle, but it would keep you from living your fears.

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

When 2.0 firmware is out (Late June) you will be able to disable your phone easily. I think you either do it from your iTunes, or call AT&T.

4. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Can't you set a passcode? That will slow 'em down, but I suppose they can keep trying until they find which of the 10,000 possibilities is the one you chose.

5. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

That's not true.
    What you will be able to do is remote delete your personal information (email and contacts).
    Just like you can do to a lost/stolen Blackberry.

Apple has made no mention of having the ability to disable the phone remotely.

6. matperk macrumors 6502

This will only be possible if your iPhone is setup on an exchange system. General users will not have this ability.

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

No...

Not sure about that. That is probably the case though.

8. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

It is true. This is a function of Exchange and Active Sync. It doesn't work with other mail servers and only deletes your Exchange info.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

AFAIK, true for BB's also, although I think in the BB case, RIM can remote cleanse any BB using the Blackberry Internet Server (not sure, never tried it).

As I understand it, an unauthorized iTunes will not allow communication with a passworded iPhone, but it does apparently let the user restore it, e.g. making it work for them if they stole it, but not giving them your data (again, have not tested this).

So you would want to password the phone and (in case you're concerned about a known person trying to gain access to your info), you want to make sure that the authorized computers are all password protected (no auto login, screen saver lock, etc).

For a jailbroken iPhone, you probably want to make sure that you have a strong password assigned to the root account so that a thief could not SSH into the phone.

That should be reasonably good, although in addition to the (current) lack of the ability to remote cleanse/disable the phone or set the password feature to cleanse the phone after repeated failures, the iPhone also typically doesn't meet stringent security demands because it lacks disk encryption. Lots of IT staff seem to be letting it slide, though....

10. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Is there a function that allows an encrypted folder to exist to keep your 'special' photos in?

11. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I think you're going to have to wait until there is some kind of Finder for the iPhone before you can have a function like that :D

12. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

"special photos", like family photos? :rolleyes:

Hee hee

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Somehow I doubt those are what he meant…

Think more along the lines of why Polaroids were so popular in the say… '70s? ;) :D

14. jeffreyfort macrumors member

I hope, eventually, someone will create software like Warden for a Palm Treo that allows the owner to wipe the phone clean remotely with a text message, or, at least, allow password protection for individual contacts, i.e., credit card or bank info.

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Do you keep your banking and credit card details on your iPhone? :eek:
    A bit of a risk no?
    :eek:

16. jeffreyfort macrumors member

I don't have iPhone yet. Plan to buy in June. But this is one of the issues I hope is addressed. I keep bank info in Address Book on my Macs and sync to my Treo. It is password protected (individually by contact) and, like I said, I can wipe it clean with a text message if I lose the phone. I think that is adequate for the benefit of the convenience. I hope iPhone allows for the same eventually. If group thinks there is too much risk, let me know.

17. kemc macrumors newbie

I found an App that works to Hide Photos on the Iphone

I found an app from the AppStore called PicVault that when you are done importing each photo it puts a password on the album.