Protecting the jet black iPhone 7 from scrataching?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphone4life6901, Sep 10, 2016.

1. iphone4life6901 macrumors member

Hey guys,

So I went ahead and preordered the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB Jet Black (November delivery date :() and since then I've been looking into ways to keep the finish in as good condition as I can without having to cover it up with a case. Besides a clear body skin, I came across this liquid scratch protector from Nanostate, https://nanostate.co/jet-black-iphone-scratch-fingerprint-protector/. It's actually been developed specifically for the jet black model, but they do have similar coatings for the other colors as well.

Just curious, anyone have experience with these on the 6/6S? Videos show them to hold up pretty well, but you never know with these things. I'd appreciate any feedback or thoughts.

Thanks!!!

2. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I want to see this next week in the apple store. my feeling is that black (regular) will be a better color.

But i have ordered both with the black coming in october and november being the jet black.

It concerns me that the jet black scratches that easily.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My concern would be apple's potential ability to claim s voided warranty with something like this. This seems like a permanent alteration of the device. Or at least something Apple might consider as such.

4. iphone4life6901 thread starter macrumors member

Fair point! I know that the website claims the coating lasts 12 months, but they recommend to recoat every 6. And in regards to the warranty void, do you think Apple would even be able to tell it's on there? Seems pretty unnoticeable in my opinion, but you could be right.

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Honestly, the liquid protector seems a bit extreme until real life use and It really depends how you treat the iPhone, with a case or without.

There is no doubt the Jet Black will show swirl marks and abrasions. It's how you handle the iPhone in my opinion.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I really don't know for sure. It would still concern me though. They seem to have gotten much more strict about repairs and replacements as of late. It's not something I would personally consider but I also have no aversion to cases.

7. iphone4life6901 thread starter macrumors member

Thoughts on applying the liquid protector and then maybe a thin clear case? How would you figure that would hold up?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 10, 2016 ---
    The only thing that bothers me about just throwing a case on (and I know this is a bit extreme, call me crazy) is that I'm almost certain the open areas of the phone, such as where the camera cutout is, or bottom by the speaker grills, will eventually show these "micro abrasions." Thoughts on this?

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I think it would depend on the situations you out your phone through. I've always been a case person dating back to the original iPhone. I had s case in the 3G and 3GS and I never had swirl marks or micro abrasions. I was far more particular about cleaning my phones then than I am now too.

If you're going to clear cost I'd say just skip a case. My entire aversion to the clear cost is potential warranty complications. If that doesn't concern you, go for it. It may not even be a real problem and I am just making one up in my head.

I do think there are some decent minimal cases out there. But again I don't really have an aversion toncades. Some people csnr stand having anything adding forth or taking away from the look of their phone. And that's fine. I'm just not them. :)

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I would not apply any liquid protector until you confirm With Apple it won't void any warranty. Cases sometimes can scratch phones as well. The difficult thing your dealing with, is this is a brand new color, with no real world experience in the user's hands. Apple obviously mentioned the Jet Black will show micro scratches. I personally avoided this color for this reason, Being I think it's going to be a real eye opener when customers see how it will scratch.

10. iphone4life6901 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input, friend!!

11. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Keep the phone in tight, secure place...if you know what I mean

12. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

The added coating will get scratches and chips out of it in time anyway, ruining the look of the phone.

In my opinion the only way to minimise marking the Jet Black is with a thin tpu case such as the Liquid Crystal by Spigen.

You'd have to remove and clean regularly to prevent tiny grit particles leaving pit marks, etc. but seems the best way to protect the finish.

I recommend the Spigen Liquid Crystal as the inside has super tiny dots that are unnoticeable when fitted.
    This prevents the watermarking effect you get from tpu cases normally.

I really wanted the glossy black to match my Apple Watch (and wedding ring), but as the finish isn't DLC like the watch I don't want the worry of spoiling the phone with tiny marks.

The Liquid Crystal on the plain black will give it a gloss look anyway.:D

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I don't think that case will prevent scratches at al, but we will see. Those case always get sand and particles in them, I have use them for years. Think you need to put a clear skin on the back and then those cases.

14. Pug72 macrumors 6502a

Pug72

Like I said, you'll need to remove and clean regularly.

I don't like clear skins, had one on my 6. Went yellow within a few months.

I really think you're onto a loser if you have a Jet Black 7.
    Even the tiniest invisible speck of crud on a microfibre cloth would mark it up when cleaning.
    Just don't inspect under direct sunlight and it'll look great. :p

15. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

16. sbuntin macrumors member

sbuntin

I was intrigued, and looked at some of their other products. The Flash Flood spray looks good for waterproofing, but the CNN 'review' shows an iPhone 5 dying after 5 minutes in a waterbowl. I am a bit surprised that nanostate posted that particular video on their site.

I suppose that's truth in advertising.

17. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

I would leave the phone in the box and sealed. Only way to prevent scratches.

18. Gooberton macrumors 65816

I'm gonna use it naked till it's all worn off down to the aluminum silver #patinabitches

19. Gooberton macrumors 65816