Protecting the Touch from a tumble

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by liaamikiir, May 9, 2009.

1. liaamikiir macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm buying my first Touch this weekend, and from what I read I really need a case. I'm not as concerned with aesthetics, but functionality. I'm worried especially about dropping it, as it'll be going almost everywhere with me. I'm not going to throw it of a balcony or anything, but I am concerned about cracking the screen. Minor scratches, not so much. I can live with those.

So I have two questions:

1) Which works better, a hard case or a silicone one? I've seen both, so is the difference more personal choice?

2) Which will help me not break my Touch if it falls out of my hands onto, say, concrete?

Thanks for all your help and advice!

Lia

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Personal preference really. I prefer the silicone cases.

Luck more than anything.

3. liaamikiir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, r.j.s.!

I've heard people claim that the silicone ones will "bounce" when dropped, so I wanted to check on that. I'll probably end up getting an inexpensive skin one, then, as my budget is a little tight

4. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

5. Moocher macrumors regular

I just use a clear screen protector, like those from bodyguardz, and a holster from DLO with my early 1st gen Touch. It's worked for me.

Mooch

6. pilotrtc macrumors regular

The beautiful shiny back of the iPod Touch scratches just by looking at it. If you are interested in keeping that as shiny as when you first buy it, I recommend putting something on the back.

I bought one that is very thin and less than obtrusive. I don't recall the name of it but I had gone to the Apple store and asked to see the slimmest one they had and that's the one I got. It looks like it's always been part of the design.

It cost $29.99 at the time.

7. DollarsAndGirls macrumors member

RebelTouch at SwitchEasy

best case on this planet.

www.switcheasy.com

and your set for life.

8. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

If I were you I would hold out till september when the new ones are released.

9. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Damn, was gonna say the same thing. Glad to know fellow macrumors members know their good products :)

+∞ , worth every penny and the switcheasy team is awesome. I've got one and love it. you can drop it from about 5 feet and if it lands on its back, it's fine. of course nothing will protect the screen like that from a tumble… but it doesn't crack under normal use.

10. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

iClear from Griffin is good for $19.99 and free shipping and no tax minus the following coupons. Use the coupon code PIRILLOGO for 25% off. Get 10% cash back from ebates then to griffin's site. So it's about $13.49 after everything.

11. liaamikiir thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all who send some advice!

I'm now in debate between the Belkin pair from Amazon and The Switcheasy. Main difference here is price for me (I'm a student and just buying the Touch involved both birthday and Christmas money). Belkin is about $15 after shipping for 2, but seems more flimsy. Switcheasy is about $27 >.< but more sturdy. Advice would be appreciated. :)

@gan6660, I thought about it. I've read the rumors, and the only thing I've heard that I might really want is extended battery life. I don't really care about bluetooth, GPS, or camera. I'm also too impatient to wait 4 months when I've been waiting since January just to buy the Touch. :p Plus, I currently have a Sansa 1gig that's completely full of music and I have more that I wish to put on it. Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to buy ASAP as planned.

Thanks all!

Lia