Protecting Your MBP -- Hard Plastic Case or Skin?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KieranDotW, May 28, 2012.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Hi, just wanted to ask around what some of you use/recommend to keep your MacBook looking new.

I'm pretty sure I want something on mine (that is once I get it) 24/7 (not just a bag or sleeve) but I'm not sure if a skin (eg invisible shield, bestskinsever) is good enough or if it's worth it to go for a hard plastic snap-on case (eg speck, incase, anyone else I don't know about).

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Speck clear shells on both my MBP and MBA. I remove then once a month and wipe with a slightly damp anti static micro fibre cloth. Both are in mint condition.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Same!
    Speck SeeThru case is on my MBP and MBA.
    It protected my MBP/A from several scratches and dents.

4. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

I swear by my Speck See Thru Satin. It saved my computer's life from falling down 4 stairs when I slipped and fell, dropping the computer. It got kind of old and started to break by the clips, so I just sent it in a few days ago and they are sending my back a new one for free since they have a terrific 1 year warranty. They even paid for shipping! :)

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I prefer my MBP "naked" while at home so I can enjoy the beautiful design, however, when out, I'd have to second the Speck See-Thru Satin hard case. I have the black one - great for travel. I also have a great soft zip case with microfiber lining in case I ever feel the need to bring it somewhere without the Speck case.

6. jpross123 macrumors member

jpross123

I just use a Speck sleeve to put my MBP in when I travel with it. Does the job well

7. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Had a speck case on my mbp and it kept it looking like new.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

1+

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Define what's "good enough" or what makes it worth it to you. Don't just assume that your preferences are universal. If it was a one-size-fits-all matter then everyone would use one or the other.

10. KieranDotW thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

With just a little care, it's very easy to keep a MBP completely scratch or mark free and looking like new.

I don't care to cover a perfectly nice looking laptop with some rather cheap looking plastic shell or clear skin.

MBP's are not fragile or easily scratched. You've got to be pretty clumsy to scratch one. I've had several, and not one has a single mark on it.

Apple has done an exemplary job of providing a durable finish.

12. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I've never dropped or scratched my MBP but I still use a speck case for my peace of mind. Its the same reason why I buy applecare. When you spend this much on a machine, its definitely worth a couple extra bucks to not have to worry about it.

13. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I don't understand it. You want to protect an aluminum metal casing with a plastic casing? Given I never owned a mac before but it seems counter intuitive.

14. pingfan59 macrumors member

Aluminum can get scratched and dinged, character to some, ocd anxieties to others.

I use a speck black satin case for mine and also have used the Vyper M3 case by booq which is very good also. To each his own. I actually like to swap from time to time so that the aluminum casing of the mbp isn't hidden all the time.