Protection Against Ungrounded Wiring?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gvdv, Jul 10, 2007.

1. gvdv macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm about to purchase a Mac Pro and am a little nervous because the apartment building in which I live has ungrounded (earthed, for those of you in the U.K. and other countries) wiring. The wall sockets are 2 prong, as well.

Is there any way that I can set up a reliable method of grounding/earthing my computer?

Thanks,

GVDV.

2. sfisher macrumors regular

:eek: There are some workarounds that may work depending on your electrical wiring. Sometimes older construction has grounded conduits and electrical boxes that you can hook into to install a grounded outlet. You have to be careful though because even if the conduits/boxes are metallic, they still may not be grounded properly.

I would ask your landlord to have a qualified electrician come in to determine the best solution as it can be dangerous not grounding things such as computers.

3. gvdv thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    Thanks for your supply.

And that's a good suggestion, thankyou.

Unfortunately, my landlords are less than likely to help in any way, although I will try to get them to do something. I'm always surprised that the law doesn't require that buildings over a certain age are kept up to date in terms of wiring. It's kind of like not requiring an older car to have state-of-the-art seatbelts - understable if you want to maintain the structural integrity, but stupid if you want to be safe.

Thanks once again,

GVDV

4. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Its more like having no seat-belts at all. I'd hate to live in a building like that.