protection dilemna MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chrisz0r, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Chrisz0r macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm new here. I stumbled upon this forum by searching around. Anyway, I wanted to know if it is safe (as far as warping surface of the LCD screen) to use the iskin keyboard skin (http://www.iskin.com/protouch_mbookpro_overview.html?cart=1208423446980629) at the same time with radtech's screensavrz (http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx) while the lid is closed? I know I'm kind of paranoid about this, sorry. The reason why I am trying to use both is that I don't want any stuff getting lodged underneath the keyboard but at the same time, protecting my screen from key marks when the lid is closed.

Thanks for the help guys.

2. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

In my experience, the keyboard skins are very good at keeping the keyboard spotless and while the feel of typing is obviously different, I soon got used to it.

However, the skin itself will carry oils etc from your fingers, and other bits and pieces, so unless you wash it regularly, it can leave deposits on your screen when closed. Even when clean, it will be pressed against the screen if you leave it in place when closed. I've not seen any permanent marks on my screen, but others have told me of marks they can't get rid of.

Now I only use the skin when I'm using my laptop on a stand as a desktop (when I use a separate keyboard and mouse). The skin cuts down the risk of any accidental soiling of the laptop keyboard with crumbs or suchlike.

They also sell skins for the separate keyboards, but they're a waste of money. The skins look soiled after a while and by the time you've replaced them a couple of times, you might as well have bought a new keyboard for the same money!

I can't see any benefit with the Screensavrz thing. Where will you put it when you're using the computer? Wherever, all it will do is pick up grit, which then gets transfered to the computer.

3. Chrisz0r thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you think is a good way to protect my screen from getting keyboard scuffs?

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

How about a sheet of Crystal Film (retains the glossy look)
    or Anti-Glare film (which turns a glossy screen into a semi-matte finish). If that becomes ruined, you can always change it... :D

I don't recommend you using them on a matte screen, as they make the screen appear less sharp.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Use the foam that was placed between screen and keyboard from the box. That's what I always do.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes...and I have a cover that I bought off Mac Mall that covers my iSkin pro.

7. Chrisz0r thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all of the replies guys. It is greatly appreciated. I guess I was too paranoid since it's my first mbp.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Does it really fit? I would think the screen would actually get a nasty push from both screen cover and iSkin?

9. Chrisz0r thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I'm trying to find out. However, the iskin protouch skin and the screensavrz are really thin so does that much of a thickness do damage to the screen?

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you get backlight screen bruising as a result of pressure it is covered under apple care.

11. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I use the radtech screen saverz and it works great for screen protection and a screen cleaner.

Cheers

12. Chrisz0r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. So even two small sheets can cause bruising on the LCD? I think I'll take off my iskin now lol.