Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
As some of you know from my other thread i just got my mbp etched on the lid. So i want to protect it, well i have a knitted sleeve for it already when i carry it from place to place.

I want something like invisibleshield? For the top and bottom (its getting really scratched up). But is the invisibleshield the kind you have to use water to apply it? Im not too big on having water near my laptop, i don't want to end up frying my mbp.

So what do you all recommend? Something good and not really expensive.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
As some of you know from my other thread i just got my mbp etched on the lid. So i want to protect it, well i have a knitted sleeve for it already when i carry it from place to place.

I want something like invisibleshield? For the top and bottom (its getting really scratched up). But is the invisibleshield the kind you have to use water to apply it? Im not too big on having water near my laptop, i don't want to end up frying my mbp.

So what do you all recommend? Something good and not really expensive.

The Invisibleshiled won't harm your laptop...just turn it off and dont soak it. Your other alternative is a clear Speck Case or an alternative hard case, but the Invisible shield will probably make the most sense.

Murasame

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2008
Speck ClearThru case, the clear version. The etching would show I suppose, and plus it provides great protection, even the people at the Genius Bar recommended it to me.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
I already have a speck case, not a big fan of it. I took it off a while back, it was too bulky for me and I couldn't lean my screen back very much with it on.

So does anybody have any good quality pics with the invisibleshield on their mbp? I tried google but all I got is random pictures of mb and mbp.

a4abt

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2008
Miami
I have the speck case, and don't like it that much. I will only use it when I'll take the plane and have to put my precious MBP in a bin for the metal detector.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I already have a speck case, not a big fan of it. I took it off a while back, it was too bulky for me and I couldn't lean my screen back very much with it on.

So does anybody have any good quality pics with the invisibleshield on their mbp? I tried google but all I got is random pictures of mb and mbp.

I've got the bestskinsever shield on my mbp, and pictures really wouldn't do much good cause all it would look like is just a random picture of a MBP! It just looks a little shinier/glossier because of the shield, but otherwise you can't tell that there's anything on it.

I highly recommend the BSE shield (much cheaper than invisible shield) for the BSE. I had some initial concerns about heat trapping, but it doesnt seem like it's a problem at all, and i can toss my mbp around without worrying about scratches.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I used Invisible Shield for my 5th gen iPod as well as my PSP, and I tried BestSkinsEver when I got my iPod Classic. The BSE is the exact same material as the IS. They offer incredible protection and add no bulk whatsoever. They also add a bit of tackiness that makes it much more difficult to drop an iPod or have it slide around on a desk or table. The installation doesn't require enough water for there to be a danger of water entering the computer. I don't have one on my MBP yet, as I don't move it around much. When I start taking it to school, I will buy a BSE full-body skin for it.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
On the BSE website,i could only find a skin for the 15-inch mbp, but i sent them a email to see if they would make one for 17 mbp. :D

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Dude, you just subjected your mbp to lasers. A little bit of moisture to the outside of your mbp should be ok.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Dude, you just subjected your mbp to lasers. A little bit of moisture to the outside of your mbp should be ok.

Well better to be safe than sorry, there sure is a lot of the "I just spilled water on my mbp" threads. Dont want to be one of those people, I'm really paranoid when it comes to having liquid near my mbp. :D

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
It is like getting a tattoo and getting it covered! :D I think the best thing is not to cover it at all. Just get case (backpack, shoulder bag) to carry it from place to place. I noticed people are obsessed with Macbook/pro protection. OK, thing cost a lot, but why to get protective case for protective case? :p I mean Macbook/pro is not an extension of a body (like pen**) but just a thing.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Any protection you apply now will be coming too late – the computer has already suffered a most horrible mutilation.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
Any protection you apply now will be coming too late – the computer has already suffered a most horrible mutilation.

Okay i already let your other post on my thread about my mbp getting etched get by, but if you have a problem with my etching then don't comment about it, just keep it yourself.

This thread is about which clear protective film is the best to protect my mbp from scratches, mostly on the bottom.

So I'd equate your post to using a wax crayon to scribble a beard on a photo of the Mona Lisa. :D

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005

johnsy said:
It is like getting a tattoo and getting it covered! :D I think the best thing is not to cover it at all. Just get case (backpack, shoulder bag) to carry it from place to place. I noticed people are obsessed with Macbook/pro protection. OK, thing cost a lot, but why to get protective case for protective case? :p I mean Macbook/pro is not an extension of a body (like pen**) but just a thing.

johnsy, speak for yourself. My mbp is an extension of me. All 15" of it! ;)

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
Anybody try Bodyguardz?

I got an email back from BSE and they aren't making a 17inch version for now.

I just got a good chunk of money tonight, it was my birthday :D

mariotheotaku

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Happy b-day man:) from what I have seen from bodyguardz, they sent you 2 skins for the price of 1 IS but I would recommend the IS. Sooner or later your skin may peel or scratch, but the IS is stronger and you get a lifetime warranty.

hotsauce

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005

mariotheotaku said:
Happy b-day man:) from what I have seen from bodyguardz, they sent you 2 skins for the price of 1 IS but I would recommend the IS. Sooner or later your skin may peel or scratch, but the IS is stronger and you get a lifetime warranty.

I hear IS have been sketchy with there guarantee after zagg took over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.