Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmy2469

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Palm Harbor, FL
Just ordered new 17" Macbook Pro with antiglare screen and 500 gb 7200 rpm drive,now I need to know how to protect it. What is everyone using? Thanks for the help.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just be careful with it is all you really need. I'm using my 2007 MBP right now and because I treat it with care, it still looks and works just as the day I got it new.

JBmac

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
Eastern, PA
Are you looking for hard or soft case?

I hope to buy a 17 MacBook Pro soon, and I am looking at the Mezzi Gold or Silver color aluminum hard cases. mezzi.com

Leslie Tan

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Sydney, Australia
You dont need special protection if you can take care of it well.
But if you really need to have something on it, you can try these out (below)

I have some OCD problem :p so i bought myself some protection:
1. Tucano soft sleeve for MBP (comes with a microfibre cloth covering your keyboards - equivalent to any soft neoprene cover protection for your mbp)
2. Memoggy soft sleeve for MBP (nice fancy colors but does not have any zip on it and only protect from scratches)
3. Booq Vyper Hardcase (semi hard nylon fully zipped - protects from anything except BIG Drop) Beware, the hardcase is thick and make sure your messenger or your laptop back can fit those in with it.
4. My OLD incase HARDSHELL (protect from scratches but once you fit those in, you might have trouble removing the case out from your machine, i cant take mine out without risking scratch or cutting away the shell hook, so i put it on until i finally sold the machine to my colleaque and i did not put them on anymore on my new machine)
** I use them all but not all at once! LOL
5. If you really need --> bags for your 17" (some do comes with a sleeve in it)

Keyboard protectors - not really needed.
A naked MBP will always look better when using it.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Take the battery out after draining it to about 60% and put it in a refrigerator. Lock the refrigerator and the MacBook Pro in a safe with a controlled environmental support system to keep it at optimal conditions for the hardware. If you can find one that suspends it in a vacuum, this would be best. Make sure the power for the safe and the refrigerator in the safe is redundant and connect them to an emergency generator just in case. Lastly, seal the safe in a nuclear fallout shelter.

You should be good for a while like this.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
best protection is common sense. I'm using my 17-inch on the couch now. No need for any protection.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
for the average person, i reocmend the INCASE NEOPRENE SLEEVE PLUS

it is the BEST sleeve as it is very well built and has an awesome faux fur interior to keep it protected when ur carrying it around and stuff.

if you want to go the extra length of proteection, u can opt for a speck or incase hardshell case. i personally think its a bit excessive but not a bad idea.

last thing is a moshi keyboard cover. im using one cause i spilt soya suace on my old macbook from 2010. thankfully future shop replaced it with a brand new one but i dont want to go through that aagain LOL

i made vids on all of these on my youtube channel
heres the incase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YupQI-jhjQ

and incase hardshell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUFmLDc93Zc

hope this helps!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
for the average person, i reocmend the INCASE NEOPRENE SLEEVE PLUS

it is the BEST sleeve as it is very well built and has an awesome faux fur interior to keep it protected when ur carrying it around and stuff.

Looks great..... I'm also after one for my new MBP 2011, but i would sacrifice a lesser one for one with pockets.

I mean how am i suppose to charge my macbook pro over at a mates place ?

I also thought buying Brenthaven.

http://www.brenthaven.com/

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Like many of the older members here I also have my collection of older Mac notebooks. Like what the other's say the best protection is simple commonsense and mindfulness when handling your hardware. When the new gadget feeling wears off just keep treating your gadgets with respect and don't tire treating it with lots of care.

I'm proud to say that all of my Mac portables dating far back as a Powerbook 540c are still cosmetically pristine and all in working order because of simple consistent care.

As for accessories, just buy a quality sleeve and well padded bag. There are tons of great brands out there SFbags, Tom bin, Brenthaven etc.

i.phone4

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
The Speck see thru satin is a great case, just gives you assurance and let's you not worry about the mac

Russell L

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
San Francisco

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
Take the battery out after draining it to about 60% and put it in a refrigerator. Lock the refrigerator and the MacBook Pro in a safe with a controlled environmental support system to keep it at optimal conditions for the hardware. If you can find one that suspends it in a vacuum, this would be best. Make sure the power for the safe and the refrigerator in the safe is redundant and connect them to an emergency generator just in case. Lastly, seal the safe in a nuclear fallout shelter.

You should be good for a while like this.

hilarious lol

suspends it in a vacuum haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.