Protection Issues from a Newb!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jadedxsyn, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jadedxsyn macrumors member

Hey guys!

First off, I'm very glad to have found this forum. I did a big Google search trying to find a forum that'd be good for a newbie to Mac. After a few years, I've decided to succumb to all the Mac buzz!

I just recently purchased a Macbook Pro & I'm very happy with it. I've Googled a bunch of articles & whatnot about Security & A/V software pertaining to my new laptop.

You guys are the experts so I was just wondering if I should be downloading any other A/V, Spyware, or a firewall..

I'm very cautious about my computer's security since my entire job revolves around me being able to answer email, be on the internet, & etc.

So any & all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. andy.barron macrumors 6502

Hey welcome!

Your router will have a firewall etc.

Don't really understand your worries, could you be more specific?

3. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Hey & thanks for the fast reply! :)

Well, I don't really have any certain thing I'm worried about. I'm just worried about viruses, infections, etc. I'm very new to Mac! With my Vaio I had a boatload of anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewalls, etc. I just want to make sure my computer is safe. I usually use a direct Ethernet or wireless connection bc my router's messed up.

Thanks!

4. ZballZ macrumors regular

Welcome to the world of mac! You'll love it!

I switched about 2.5 years ago - and as you my pc was stuffed with firewalls and antivirus and antyspyware-apps.

So I switched, and was told not to worry about this anymore. I have had NO ANTIVIRUS of any sort on my macbook pro the entire time. About last month I thought I might to a check - so I downloaded an antivirus-app and let it do a complete scan of everything. It took about 3-4 hours - and guess what - NOTHING!

Based on my experience - dont worry about it. Antivirus-apps will just hog your system! And you dont need it!

PS: ...and I am not a paranoid user. I use the internet for anything, download a bunch of stuff...

5. panosg77 macrumors newbie

Well, the wonderful thing about Macs is that you don't have to worry about security, that is to the extent that Windows users do. There is really absolutely no need for A/V software of any kind on your Mac, since Windows viruses cannot in any way harm your machine.

In the case that you have decided to run Windows alongside OS X however, you will have to use A/V software just as you would do on any Windows PC.

Hope I answered your question :)

P.S. I have been using Macs since 2002. Since then I have not had a single security issue. Bear in mind however that you will have to update OS X when prompted to by Software Update.

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Well, if you don't have router between your mac and th net it's important the firewall is turned on. OS X already provide an integrated firewall software but I suggest you repair you router for better security. Similarly to windows if you use a wireless connection be sure to use at least WPA.

7. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I know that you might be a little paranoid not running 3 or 4 test to confirm that it really is "safe" to use your computer when you start it up, but that was then and this is now :D. You have to break yourself of that negativity because the mac will have none. Ill give you a quick story like some of the others have offered just to help of breaking you in your addiction of running spyware and a/v programs. Lets see, I had an iBook G4 1.33 and a PowerMac G3 "The Beast" :) , and ran those for around two years. I got norton for free so I ran it for fun to see what it would or could find. After 2 years on both machines which were accessing the internet, getting emails, etc. it found NOTHING. Needless to say, I haven't done that since on any of my other macs. I sure hope my Macbook Pro and Powerbook aren't infected.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I trust you uninstalled Norton? seem's strange your giving antivirus advice & then say you installed Norton in the same sentence,try googling about what harm Norton can do to your Mac

Oh nearly forgot OP if you regularly share files/e-mail attachments with PC users you may want to try clamxav to scan before you send stuff,it's free,got a small foot print,plus it wont slow your Mac down

Enjoy your new Mac

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Don't use AV on your mac until there's a real reason. When a destructive virus finally does come out (and I theorize it's only a matter of time with the gain in popularity) then it will be time to get AV.

Spyware is not an issue either.

There have only been a few "proof of concept" Mac viruses and none of them were destructive in any way, rather they just passed a file from one mac to another.

Really, no need to worry. I've been running Macs for YEARS w/o any issues.

10. jadedxsyn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks very much to all of you! You settled my fears, lol!

I've definitely been stuck in the Windows-based paranoia from past security breaches. I've had my Mac for about a week now & I'm loving it - best decision I've made to date!