Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
Hi,
I've just got my MacBook Pro 2018 and I ❤ it. I watched this video about the lack of magsafe where the guy shows his scratched USB-C ports (from 3m43s)

When I plug the usb-c adapters, I indeed have to do several tries before actually finding the port and I don't want to scratch my space grey macbook.

I was wondering if there are any transparent stickers that would go around the ports in order to protect them. I know that I could get a skin to protect the entire macbook but protecting the ports would be better for me.

cheers

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
I wouldn't worry about this, I have had my MacBook Pro 2016 for 2 years, passed it to my sister and the damage is nowhere near this, theres some scuffing on the inside, but the outsides are pristine.

Don't want to point fingers, but this video may over exaggerate the problem, if any.

Inside for sure, but the outsides are nowhere near this bad, I'm sure there are other users here that can vouch for this.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Berlin
ok thanks, I'm usually careful with my hardware and this video might be indeed a different type of user :)

cheers

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
This is after 12 hours of use a day @ 5 months of usage. On my 15inch MBP. There is some, but this is just character to a MacBook Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_9355.JPG
    IMG_9355.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,869

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
Hi,
I've just got my MacBook Pro 2018 and I ❤ it. I watched this video about the lack of magsafe where the guy shows his scratched USB-C ports.
Vinpok is working on an updated Vinpok Bolt to work with the 2018 MacBook Pro’s, it’s a magnetic quick release USB-C adapter. The ones they have now the tip does not completely match the USB-C ports on the 2018 MBP’s.

Last edited:

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Hi,
I've just got my MacBook Pro 2018 and I ❤ it. I watched this video about the lack of magsafe where the guy shows his scratched USB-C ports (from 3m43s)

When I plug the usb-c adapters, I indeed have to do several tries before actually finding the port and I don't want to scratch my space grey macbook.

I was wondering if there are any transparent stickers that would go around the ports in order to protect them. I know that I could get a skin to protect the entire macbook but protecting the ports would be better for me.

cheers

Man, I have a 2016 MBP (recently passed on to my wife) with no visible scratches like that and I am constantly plugging and unplugging cords and dongles. I think the YT poster needs to make a New Years resolution to give up drinking and plugging.

Reactions: Premal212
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.