Protection to prevent laptop feet wearing away

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FumbleDuck, Jan 14, 2015.

1. FumbleDuck macrumors member

Hi all,

I have had my 2014 rMBP for the past few months and I have noticed that the feet are wearing away slightly. Its not significant but they have definitely flattened off a bit and are grey (not black) and feel very rough where they have worn.

I'm guessing this is down to one of the work surfaces I use which is a painted compressed chipboard so not smooth but not particularly rough either.

Anyway I have now placed a small (5mm square) piece of clear sellotape on the bottom of each foot to temporarily prevent more wear and this seems to work well so far.

I know about this site ( http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202450 ) for replacement feet instructions but to be honest that looks like a giant PITA.
    Also I dont really want to use one of those enclosing cases with feet on the outside either.

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to what I can put on the feet to prevent further erosion or has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.

2. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Just from past experience, I work in a lot of nasty rough areas, concrete, steel, blocks, unfinished wood, and I have never had to replace the feet on my macbooks. They do wear slightly, but never to the point where I was worried about replacing them.

3. blooperz, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

blooperz macrumors 6502

what is the point, they can be replaced in any apple store for free/minimal charge...even after apple cares expires I think they run something like $10 a pop to have them replaced in store.

4. catan macrumors member

Good to know, thanks! I'm definitely seeing some wear to the point where I wonder if airflow is impacted from the lower clearance.

5. technosix macrumors 6502a

The wear on mine is nearly imperceptible.

However I should mention that I have a personal policy that forbids my Macs from jogging. My friends laugh, but it's saved me some money. :)

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

There are no air vents on the bottom so how could airflow be impacted? Unless you keep obsessively sliding your MBP around on a rough surface I'm pretty sure it will settle down showing some wear but otherwise no harm and be fine for a long time. Mine is 3.5yrs old and although one foot has had to be glued back on, they are not catastrophically worn yet...