Protective cases for extreme environments

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Signal-11, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Okay, maybe not that extreme but my needs do go a little beyond the needs of the average overprotective mac user. (Don't get me wrong, I am one of those, too!)

I work for Doctors Without Borders and I usually take my own apple laptop with me out on assignments/missions, for all the usual reasons. Last couple times, I haven't been overly concerned with protection because each time, I took out an older generation iBook/Powerbook.

This time, I've got a brand new MBP and it turns out that I'll be traveling more than usual.

Anyway, needs:

1.) Hard shell exterior.
    2.) Prefer smaller dimensions so it can be packed inside another bag/hidden.
    3.) Doesn't have to be waterproof/resistant but would be nice.

I was thinking of something along the lines of the Pelican 1080 or failing that, the Axio Hardcase/sleeve, only the 1080 is too small the Axio won't be shipping the Hardcase until mid-May.

I don't have too much time to shop (leaving Sat 29th for a short mission) so any suggestions welcome. Getting a little desperate here....

Please, for the love of God, if someone knows where to get an Axio hardcase or has an extra....

Thanks

2. kevzy macrumors member

Hi Signal-11,

Just done a very quick Google search on hard cases. This one came back, http://www.radtech.us/Products/MacTruck.aspx. Looks a bit funky and might be a bit of an overkill but could be what you're after.

Good Luck.

3. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

4. RandiC macrumors member

TED001 | Targus 17" Aluminum Attaché Notebook Case. This is a nice case fits 15" MBP fine

5. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Right now, it's coming down to a choice between the Radtech Mactruck and the Rhinoskin Hardcase (Aluminum or ABS). Any opinions between the two?

The reason a separate briefcase/attache case won't work for me is because first, I generally travel with my laptops in a backpack for a number of reasons, including security. A laptop bag/briefcase positively screams (high value target! snatch and run!) in some parts of the world, especially transit hubs. Secondary to that is that they tend to add too much weight, which is why the Otterbox is right out the window. I can't afford NOT to travel light. Sometimes, on 2-3 week trips, I try to get by with two pairs of underwear and socks each just to save space and weight so adding an 8 pound case for a 3 pound laptop doesn't make too much sense.

Anyone have any experience with the Matias Laptop Armor? Still a little too big but maybe.

Just got off the phone with Pelican and they're making the 1080CC is a larger size, which would be the answer to my prayers (waterproof, crushproof, etc.) but it won't be out for a few months... :(

6. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

The mactruck seems like it would be quite difficult to store, easily, in a backpack. Why not look at the Booq option... You could get something like the Python XL backpack which is a HUGE bag with tons of storage, ballistic nylon, etc (and the [system] even include the Vyper sleeve). I believe; however, that you probably already have a backpack that you use, since you have already traveled many times, so why not look into something like the vyper sleeve. Also by Booq, it fits snugly around you laptop to provide it with superior protection, but also is used to slip into a bag nicely. I haven't actually used it, so I don't know, it is just that I am looking into it myself...

7. kant macrumors 6502

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

[I have an underwater video system and could not find a case that was the right size. I made on myself for if 1/4 inch birtch plywood. Took only a few hours. The box is sturdy enough to stand on, weight less than a Pelican case but is not water prrof, (I realyy don't care if my underwater video housing gets wet..)

Boxes are easy to make. Four lenghts of wood nailed to gether to make a frame. Then a peice of plywod top and bottom and you have a hollow block. Saw the block in half to make a case and lib.

You can have one made for about the price of a pelican case if you lack the tools and skills. The best part is that it can _exactly_ fit the computer with no wasted space.

9. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I looked at the Booq Vyper M2 but from what I've read from these forums is that the shell isn't all that stiff. I'm really thinking the Axio Hardsleeve would have been the solution until the Pelican comes out but they're not shipping until Ma. Tried begging on the phone with Axio for even a sample but they can't help me.

Mactruck seems the way to go since it's only a little bit larger than the laptop itself. I wonder if that handle is removable?

As for the Zero Halliburton, yeesh, too big. The Matias, I was looking at, as mentioned earlier but at four inches, adds another 2 inches of thickness. The pack I usually take around with me is usually at the limit as it is. If I were to go the full on briefcase route, I'd go all the way and go Otterbox or Pelican for the water protection as well...

Hrm, no responses on the Rhinoskin Hardcases. No one with any experience with these things?

10. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

11. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yeah, I actually thought about ordering a bunch of kydex, soft rubbers and maybe some aluminum and building something myself but right now, don't have the time since this assignment got dropped on my lap less than a week before I actually have to leave...

12. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

13. a4abt macrumors regular

Incase is supposed to release a shell for the MBP in May. I have the Speck shell, and don't like it that much. I saw the Incase shell for the MB and it looks much better, waiting for the MBP version to test it.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

First, *clap* for an MSF worker. It's the only NGO I give money to, and in the course of my work I've met more people from MSF that I didn't think deserve a kick in the head than any other NGO.

We use Hardigg cases these days for equipment transport in harsher situations. The IM2370 is the laptop-specific one.
    http://www.militarycases.com/SpecificSize-Storm.asp?ProductNum=iM2370
    Strong, adequately protective, useful and should anything truly untoward happen, pretty disposable in terms of cost.

15. Hierotochan macrumors member

Recycled cases...

Anyone seen these?

http://store.solio.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.153/.f

Made from recycled Columbian mining vehicle tyres.
    Those things are like 15' tall.
    Waterproof & looks pretty slim.
    Get one of the Solar-Powered iPod chargers too!

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could get a Pelican case. They work very well and of course they have cases for everything.

17. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Oh, I can think of few colleagues I'd like to kick in the head....

As mentioned, this would be the ideal solution if it would be just one inch longer and fit the MBP.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_accessories.php?Case=1080

Anyone know of something similiar that's available now?

Oh yeah, went with the Rhinoskin ABS as a temporary solution. Its ugly and not nearly as stiff as the guy on the phone told me but its much stiffer than the stuff made out of ballistic nylon (Booq Vyper, etc).

There's a few problems with this case and why its not Mactruck level. First, too much flex in the middle of the case and with the clear plastic bit for the Apple logo, I'm not too confident in its crush protection.

The bit that pisses me off is the little push button. The inside is sharp and has scratched up the lid button on the MBP.