Protein Powder and shakes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zblaxberg, Nov 7, 2007.

1. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

What do you know about taking protein along with exercising? Is it worth it? What kind is best to get? What are the pros/cons?

2. aviddk macrumors regular

I have a whey shake every morning. It consists of 250g water, 50g Blueberry juice, 14g Flax seed oil, 56g fresh ground flax seed, 140g frozen blueberries and 40g Designer Whey. Buy a Back to Basics Smoothie Blender (better than high end blenders amazingly) at Macy's for $39.00 bucks and blend it till it's like a milk shake. Highly recommended! Great WHEY to start the day. Downside, it's somewhat expensive. Upside, great for muscle building and for me, brain power.

aviddk

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i advise it if you're exercising. i personally get the protein mix with the most calories per serving, but that's b/c i run a ton of miles, and still lift weights

4. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

I'm looking for something more college dorm friendly :)

5. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I am very much in favor of protein powders and shakes. They really do help in combination with serious exercise.

However, stay away from those that are loaded with fats and/or sugars, unless you burn HUGE amounts of calories working out. Some of my guy friends got literally FAT on these protein powders because they didn't watch how loaded with fat and sugar they were.

I personally stick with the ones that are pure whey or soy protein without added fats or sugars -- artificial sweeteners are ok. I try to stay away from artificial flavors, though -- lots of them have artificial cookies'n cream flavors or the like, which I don't think is healthy.

Trader Joe's used to sell some that fit my bill and weren't too expensive.

6. EMU1337 macrumors member

EMU1337

Wise Choice

Definitely take protein if you want to build muscle because it will help you recover faster and build mass.

7. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

You must be new. The answer to all college dorm related drinking questions is beer.

8. zblaxberg thread starter Guest

zblaxberg

Don't worry I have my share of that but having a mom and a stepmom who are both personal trainers I'd kinda like to get in shape and not worry so much about getting a gut

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Well, it depends on what your fitness goals are, but in most cases some kind of protein supplement is appropriate following exercise.

• The average person in their day to day life needs about 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    • An athletic individual who works out regularly needs about 0.5 to 0.75 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
    • A body builder needs at least 1.00 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

The average American eats 50% more protein then they actually need, largely due to a massive overconsumption of meat and animal products in general. You may already be getting enough protein in your diet, but you may need to choose sources that are more conducive to weight loss/lean muscle gain. Good sources would be chicken, fish, legumes, soy, hemp and whey, as these are all low in fat. Time of consumption is also equally important, as athletes who consume protein within an hour of their workout see greater gains in size or performance. Whey protein, specifically, is the most effective for post-workout gain.

Since you live in a dorm and probably aren't on the varsity body building team (is there even such a thing? I actually don't know anything about American college life) I would suggest consuming about 0.6 grams of protein per pound of body weight, and consuming around 15 grams of protein post-workout. This could come from a protein bar, a shake, or some almonds/peanuts/cashews.

A note about protein metabolism: to process protein your body needs a lot of water, and processing any excess protein will sap your body's vitamin and nutrient stores (specifically calcium). Make sure to drink enough and take a multivitamin supplement. Don't try and drink milk to replenish your calcium, milk is high in protein and thus only exacerbates the problem. (Compare milk consumption and osteoporosis rates for an example).

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Good posts, above. I consume ON Whey double chocolate blended with peanut butter, milk, a banana and chocolate ice cream. 800 calories in that drink. Yum!

(yes I need those calories. Fatties, don't use this recipe!)