Protein / Supplements

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pknz, Sep 13, 2007.

1. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

So I started going to the gym to build a bit of muscle.

Is it worth it to buy into protein shakes type things? Anyone have any thoughts or experience on the use of these type of things?

Thanks

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I would certainly recommend them for recovery post workout or if you find it hard to have a protein source with a food meal. I personally have one serving with my Oats in the morning as I hate cooking eggs:p and then another serving after a workout.

Go for a good brand of whey protein, I don't know what's popular in NZ but check around the net....

SHadoW

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I used to have them but didn't seem to notice any difference, except my empty wallet.

4. sain macrumors member

I believe they do help, no need for anything else other than whey and multivitamins. Your muscles are built using protein so having more of it is essential if you wanna get bigger. You dont have to use Whey Protein you could eat like crazy (lots of chicken) But shakes are easy and convenient.

I personally like Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate. Mixed with Milk is taste exactly like Chocolate Milk. Everything else Ive tried has a weird fake flavor. I highly recommend the ON.

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

You should drink at least one protein shake a day if you are lifting. Basically, protein shakes are a concentrated way of getting protein that your muscles need to rebuild after working out. It will also probably fill you up, so drink it with a small meal or as breakfast with some fruit or something similar.

This is entirely subjective, but I do believe protein makes a huge difference. When I stopped being a vegetarian I hurt far less after intense gym workouts, which was probably due to the generally increased protein in my diet. When I kicked my lifting up to a true workout regimen, I have found that if I am diligent about drinking a protein shake 3-4 days a week I am less sore.

If you google around there are some good articles about this. I don't know if you have a GNC in NZ but they have fairly cheap whey protein bags (about 2-3 weeks worth of servings for $15USD). I recommend chocolate protein, it's delicious. Whey and soy protein are going to be the cheapest options most likely. Stay away from "Muscle Milk" or any of the chemical soup brands...from the research I did they have far more calories, and there's some doubt as to whether they are really any better than plain whey or soy.

6. fotografica macrumors 68040

I use protein shakes,esp for post workout recovery.It's important to get protein to the muscles in the first half hour after you stop working out. I buy the powder.I like to mix it with either Gatorade (esp post workout) or skim milk. I avoid the premixed boxed drinks.They tend to have fillers in them.Plus the longer they sit on the shelf,the more the protein in them breaks down..

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

If you're going to increase your protein consumption above 0.8 grams/pound of body weight, then you need to be aware of the effect digesting that much protein will have on the rest of your body. Most recommendations for gaining muscle mass are to increase intake to 1.5 to 2.0 grams per pound of body weight. Ensure you're meeting your required intake for vitamins, take a multivitamin targeted at "active" individuals, and make absolutely sure you have an adequate water intake.

8. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Oh yes, especially the multi and the water. Either buy a nice water bottle or keep a plastic one around, but drink several a day. You'll feel better and find your workouts are much more satisfying. Dehydration is not your friend.