PROTEST: Against NBC Universal: CEOs email address included

Discussion in 'iPod' started by seanmacers, Aug 31, 2007.

1. seanmacers macrumors newbie

2. jlanuez macrumors 6502

NBC Sucks!

Especially so after today's news of just having their new site work with Microsoft PCs. :mad:

Who wants them back on iTunes? I say NEVER watch NBC again!!!

3. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Turn on a TV and watch it for free, problem solved

4. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm never home when The Office is on... and I can't miss it!!

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Get a DVR, VCR or a DVD recorder. You won't be seeing NBC shows on iTunes again

6. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I think it is legit to complain. To be honest, I don't care if they are on iTunes or not, I just want Mac and iPod support.

Unfortunately, the only way to legally support iPod is via iTunes or to go DRM free (which they will never do).

So, while I am disappointed that NBC is locking out users like me, I do understand them not wanting to be bossed around by Apple.

Apple is partly at fault here for running iTunes with an iron fist and refusing to license Fairplay. NBC aren't the first people to resent the way Apple runs iTunes. Many in the music industry have similar complaints.

I would welcome options, but as a Mac user, there are not any choices for a portable media player other than iPod.

It would be nice if Apple gave a little as well...and not just to NBC.

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Give a mouse a cookie, he'll want a glass of milk.

Apple's argument would be that the reason for their success is absolute control over their applications, licensing, and the user experience. I tend to agree. Am I a hypocrite? Maybe. But Apple has demonstrated their ability to do things right so it just works, and if that means a locked in system, that's cool with me since I'm an Apple fanboy for life anyway.

I say if NBC wants to lock out the 100 million + iPods out there, that's their prerogative, however idiotic it may be. All I can say is VisualHub+Bittorrent is my friend now that I can't buy NBC shows to work on my iPod.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Exactly. Everyone is against "piracy" but companies don't seem to ever want to follow the common-sense steps that would actually lead to more people buying their shows.

Example. NBC offers TV shows TV shows for download free of charge if you download it with commercials or for a dollar if you want in commercial-free, that would be for standard definition. For HD they could charge $.99 for commercial-free. Doing this they would make more money than they do broadcasting it over the airwaves and there is little work involved; and lots of people would continue to buy the DVDs to get the special features.

9. Twinkie macrumors regular

I think it's somewhat naive to think that people wouldn't simply download the free version, snip out the commercials, then post the content on Usenet or torrent them.

10. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

Have you been in the iPhone forum lately, they hardly got that right what so ever.

11. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Have you ever used any other smartphone? They got it right by a LOOOOOOOONG shot, for me anyway. Maybe not for you, but for a LOT of us...like MILLIONS of us...they damn well nailed it. Not to mention, for the AVERAGE consumer, not hackintosh dorks and uber gadget geeks, for the AVERAGE---repeat---AVERAGE consumer which likely makes up 95% of the cell phone market, the iPhone is the closest thing to a perfect all in one device.

I think it's somewhat naive to think that 95% of consumers actually know what bittorent is. You give the average consumer's knowledge of internet technologies such as bittorrent far too much credit.

12. Twinkie macrumors regular

Which is why media companies go to such lengths to DRM the living crap out of things, right? :rolleyes:

13. Shorties macrumors 6502a

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't use the form e-mail, but I did take the time to e-mail NBC and ask them to continue making content available to Mac users.

15. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

I hate NBC for being so stereotypically stupid. Thanks for posting this.

As of now, I can not wait to find new more resourceful methods of getting The Office Season 4 :cool:

F. YOU NBC!

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I don't want NBC back on iTunes, if they're going to hang themselves let them do it on their own time.

17. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

I can't wait until the free downloads next month!!! Hero's on my iPod without using iTunes will be nice! I get the feeling this feature will be available before the iPhone update!

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

The media companies don't realize that the vast majority of consumers aren't pirates, thus they punish the many for the sins of the few. The FREAK out over any inkling of piracy and instead of ignoring it, they bring it into mainstream media thus bringing it to the forefront and giving it attention which educates people who wouldn't normally use it. I wouldn't use the media companies as an example of common sense...

19. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

So if the Treo 700W I gave up for an iPhone has these features that the iPhone doesn't, it's an inferior phone how:

1. View & EDIT Word and Excel files
    2. MMS Messaging
    3. Video Camera
    4. Unlimited FREE ringtone files
    5. True bluetooth connectivity including tether and sync
    6. MS Exchange functionality
    7. 1800+ free apps available for download
    8. Expandable memory
    9. Insurance available through normal means

I'm getting tired of having to type that list. Wish I could just copy and paste it from my iPhone, but sadly it can't do that either. But it looks like I will soon be able to use keyboards in different languages!

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Again, the iPhone isn't perfect for YOU, but it's the best thing out there for a LOT of people. Go back to your 700W if it's so much more useful for you.

21. NightStorm macrumors 68000

The question is, why did you switch to a phone that all of these "issues" were known before it was released?

22. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Ha ha, sorry. Not going to happen. 1. NBC's "free" downloads won't work in iTunes or on your iPod. 2. You can't put anything on your iPod without going through iTunes anyway.