Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
So I got the new iphone 6s this morning. Like when I got the 5s a couple years ago I did a restore from icloud until I get home and can do a restore with passwords and such. After doing the initial restore I get

"Please enter your apple id password for me@older-email.com:"

Well I changed my apple id but I tried my password anyway. I even tried the password it likely was back when I was using that id. Still didn't work. So then I tried the forgot password link "Not a valid apple id".

OK, so I figured I'd just deal with it and skip it. Then I got another message:

"Please enter your apple id password for me@even-older-email.com:"

Tried same things as above and didn't work. I double checked and my apple id lists both those emails as alternate email addresses. So I'm like fine, and hit skip again.

Now I constantly keep getting prompts to login to these two apple ids which I can't login to because apple doesn't see them as valid apple ids. I spent the entire morning trying to deal with this and ended up just moving the sim card back to my old 5s and wait till I get home where I have all the apps stored locally.

TL;DR: Don't ever change your apple id or if you do make sure you keep all your apps stored on a local itunes install or else you will likely lose them.

BTW for those that find this later the options I found and tried were to do a full restore (well that's what I'm doing already) and didn't work. I didn't try changing my apple id back to the old emails but that's rediculous. Other option is to redownload them but if the app has been pulled from store your out of luck.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
It doesn't matter how you restore all those apps you're still going to have to log in with the ID that you purchased them with.

vrillusions

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio, US
It doesn't matter how you restore all those apps you're still going to have to log in with the ID that you purchased them with.

Nope, because now that I think about it this is why I didn't have the problem before. When I got the 5s I set it up as a new phone just to get by for the day and then restored it from the backup when I got home. I still use itunes at home to do the syncing, updating apps, and such (backup to icloud though). When I do the restore is restores using the apps already on my computer so it doesn't ask to login for them. Also maybe that way it realizes the accounts are all the same but for icloud backup it just has "App <whatever> was purchased with appleid <me@older-email.com>" and it doesn't know to check if that is still a valid account or if it's listed as an alternate id for a current apple id or something else. At least that's my theory, I'll know in like 5 or 6 hours when I get home

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
My wife changed her Apple ID email when she got her iPhone 6 (on launch day) and no issues at all. I did this a few months earlier and no issues.

When we both did ours, we both set up the phone as new. I had a feeling setting up from back up would cause an issue. We set out iPhones up as new, downloaded the apps we wanted, and no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.