Protip: New Hotkey to Quit & Discard Windows for Apps (bypass resume)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ovrlrd, Jul 4, 2011.

1. ovrlrd, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Hate the new resume feature and how you end up with a bunch of old windows/tabs open when you launch Safari, QuickTime, or any app that uses Lion's new resume feature?

Well a simple three button keyboard shortcut will save you all the trouble:

⌥ + ⌘ + Q
    (thats Option + Command + Q)

Simply press these keys when you want to quit an app and the next time you open it, the last opened windows/tabs will not be resumed and you will start with a fresh app.

This should (hopefully) be a great tip for those who want more control over the resume feature that has been introduced in Lion.

You can also see this option appear in the app's menu where "Quit" normally appears by holding down the option key.

This hotkey should work with any app that supports Lion's new resume feature, though I have only tested it with a handful of them. For me it seems just as easy to press as CMD + Q normally is, so I think it shouldn't be too difficult for everyone to learn to use.

2. wesleyh macrumors 6502

I would rather have had shift command q, option command q is a little harder to press (without looking at the keyboard)

3. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

4. ovrlrd thread starter macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

I disagree, I can press both option and command at the same time with my thumb (the finger you are supposed to use to press them to begin with) and hit Q with my ring finger (since my hand shifts to the left while I do it).

I have already gotten used to pressing a similar combo, where you do Option + CMD + W to close all open windows except the one you currently have selected. Both hotkeys are great to know and easy to press.

5. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Oh yeah that works quite well as well, will do that from now on thanks :)

6. throttlemeister macrumors 6502a

The cool thing about this shortcut is, that if have disabled auto-save in general settings, this shortcut will enable it once for that application.

7. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. Much more convenient than CMD-W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, Q. :)