Protools and Logic on MacBook Pro 13"

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by duskandsummer, Jan 17, 2015.

1. duskandsummer macrumors member

Okay, so I have the Macbook pro 13" from Mid 2012, I'm wanting to get protools and logic because I want to start recording/mixing again. What kind of problems will I run into by using my Macbook pro 13" and will I need to bite the bullet and buy a new 15"?

2. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

No problems at all. Depending on your RAM and disk speed, you may even find it's way quicker than you think!

It all depends what you're doing, how many tracks you're likely to have per project playing simultaneously, how many plug-ins you have... it's all down to that. If you're making electro using virtual instruments, as an example, get 8GB RAM as a minimum.

If you're serious about it, definitely invest in a capacious SSD (my recommendation is the Samsung EVO line, either the 540 or 550. Greater capacities tend to have faster read/write speeds) and 8GB RAM minimum.

If you need more help/pointers, I'd be happy to help :)

3. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

A lot of the guys at my uni are running really big projects on the baseline 13'' non-retinas. Protools, Logic, Reason and Ableton mainly. But yeah, you aren't going to have a problem if you organise your sessions properly. With PT's make sure you make good use of deactivating tracks you aren't using, and be sensible with your bussing to keep plugins bogging it down.

You will be fine mate.

4. duskandsummer thread starter macrumors member

Thank you guys! I was just a little apprehensive just because I remember buying it and the apple guy telling me I'd run into issues. I think once I really get back into it and start doing bigger sessions I'll look into upgrading the RAM. Thanks again! :)