ProTools and other studio software for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lastmboy, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Lastmboy macrumors regular

I have a small recording studio that is currently running on a quad core pc, with ProTools 11 being the main software. I'm very tempted to switch that one to a new Mac Pro, as it's the only computer I have left that's not a Mac. Does anyone know if would be severely limited regarding studio software options if I switch to a Mac Pro. I know that I am licensed for ProTools for Mac, but I'm not sure about the bulk of the plug-ins and other software. Is there a Mac version for most of it? An added bonus is that I could then use Logic.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The companies that make the plug-ins should have information on what's available for/compatible with Mac and if any current licensing that you now possess would be transferable.

3. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

I've checked the ones I currently own, and they are transferable. However, I was just curious as to whether the vast majority of them exist for both environments.

4. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

You'll find the vast majority of plugins originated on the Mac in the first place. Before Avid bought Digidesign and Sibilious, Pro Tools was Mac only and a lot of the plugins were ported to Windows after the first Windows version.

5. Lastmboy, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

Now that you mention that, I think I did read that somewhere. Thanks. Good to know. I think I'll make the switch, as it will be nice to be rid of the last pc I own. Just enjoying the Mac experience way too much, and not missing all the time spent re-booting and trying to decipher error messages.

Here's another question that just struck me. The new 64-bit version meant that all the old windows plug-ins no longer work. I never thought to ask about the Mac ones. Is there a new format of plug-in for the Mac that is required for ProTools 10+?

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Yes. It's the AAX format now. It isn't backwards compatible but a lot of plugins have been updated. There was an VST to AAX wrapper at one stage but Avid made the company take it off the market.