Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amadeus

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2002
New York, NY
I just checked out Digidesign.com and discovered that a new version of ProTools was released today.... but, they still have yet to provide compatibility with OS X.

I know there have been many threads on this subject in the past, however, I was wondering what people thought about this:

Do you think Digidesign might let Steve Jobs unveil ProTools for X in his keynote at MWNY? Regardless or not if the product is ready.. do you think Digi would allow Steve to make that announcement? It will be a huge announcement.. definitely worthy of the keynote.. but would they let Jobs make the announcement?

Amadeus

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I would say that if ProTools for X would be unvieled at MWNY, Steve would let the Vice-President or something of the ProTools company come up and annouce it.. it would be part of the "new Applications" thingy they always do at macworlds. then, they might demonstrate a beta version of it or something... the works...

irmongoose

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd almost guarantee that an X version of Protools is done and ready, awaiting only the release of Jaguar with it's built in Midi-capabilities.

I'd be willing to put a whole dollar on it. :)

m

oeyvind

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2002
Originally posted by Moxiemike
I'd almost guarantee that an X version of Protools is done and ready, awaiting only the release of Jaguar with it's built in Midi-capabilities.

I'd be willing to put a whole dollar on it. :)

m

I would quote what an unnamed ProTools employee told me yesterday at Broadcast Asia 2002... they are all waiting for Jaguar with as the new app need CoreAudio and MIDI that comes with Jaguar... ^^

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by oeyvind

I would quote what an unnamed ProTools employee told me yesterday at Broadcast Asia 2002... they are all waiting for Jaguar with as the new app need CoreAudio and MIDI that comes with Jaguar... ^^

Yea. anyone who knows anything about audio on a Mac knew that, until jaguar, Mac OS X wouldn't get any audio app... that Apple did some major catch-up to make the system work. And it looks like, from what I have seen of Jaguar, it'll be better than OS 9.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
hope it's a dual install OS 9 and OS X.

Imagine suddenly having protools for OS X only and having to wait ages for plug-ins to be ported to OS X ? it would drive me nuts, plus the LE version wouldn't run too good in OS X on my beige G3. I'm not touching OS X till I've got a G4 with 512Mb + of RAM personally. Not that I wouldn't switch to OS X the second I get a faster mac.

There's also a few things in protools LE for us host based protools users to look forward to:

32 audio tracks
mod delay II with tempo and timing controls (no more calculator)
RTAS version of time adjuster
New hardware setup that doesn't require the session to be closed to make changes.

They're just the new features LE 5.3.1 for windows XP has got, we'll also have dual CPU support to look forward to.

I just hope we can still use it in OS 9 aswell as OS X, I can't afford a faster mac till next year and there's no way I could get the same performance out of my G3 under OS X as I can in protools with OS 9 and my supertweaked extension set. I've got the OS down to only 19Mb of RAM with the rest all for protools, screen redraws are fast, sessions open in seconds, without the tweaking it slows down quite a bit and I can't use as many plug-ins and tracks, OS X would kill my current mac, let alone protools under OS X.

That again, I could be totally wrong and OS X would run protools faster than OS 9 because of it's pre-emptive multitasking and better memory management, I still can't have a dedicated audio drive though, my G3 is a Rev A with no slave support.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Re: ProTools for X

Originally posted by Amadeus

Do you think Digidesign might let Steve Jobs unveil ProTools for X in his keynote at MWNY?

I bet you the people of Digidesign would love that but it wont happen. You can talk about Photoshop because is an standart but Protools is not, there are many audio soft out there very loyal to Apple like MOTU. Imagine how MOTU would feel is Apple introduce Protools X in a keynote? The keynote is not for that, it is for introducing Apple's stuff, and some times comparing products.

It can be mentioned maybe.

denbee27

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2002
ProTools for X a long way out.

We are certain that Pro Tools is more that six months from being released for OS X. The focus has been on getting HD out the door. Now that HD is a reality and Jaguar is close to release we can assume that the resources are now being focused on OS X. 1st quarter next year at the earliest.

But rest assured. It will happen. Pro Tools customer base is largly MAC and a few of them are starting to get vocal now that OS X is gaining maturity.

jrob6716

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2002
Watch and see.

July 15-20th is the release date. There are many other things they will be inveiling such as other hardware interface w/firewire.

Watch and see.!!!!

iamspooky

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2002
Honolulu
Protools LE Mac OSX

Aloha,

I am a Protools LE user presently on a PC. I thought it O.K. to post this question here rather than start a new thead.

I had decided a month ago to switch over to the MAC platform, for various reasons, also to be compatible with my school.

So, I have been contemplating my purchase and decided to wait and see what MWNY has to offer. However, there is much talk now in other threads that the new release PowerMac G4 or (G5??) will not support or run on Mac OS 9.2. We all know that OSX for Protools is going to happen, but no definite release date has been set. I also have been in touch with the Digidesign sales dept. and they have indicated to me a PT LE OSX release date in the late Fall of this year.

Question is ??.....does anyone have any comments or advice on what is going to happen and whether it might be better to purchase one of the current G4's now or wait for the new G4's to be unvieled at MWNY ??

I know that this is all just speculation, but I am going crazy because I am coming across some fairly good deals on used G4's here locally. It might not be wise to wait till MWNY to find out that I can't put OS 9.2 on my new G4 and then Digidesign could take another 6 months to release PT OSX.

Any good advice or info is appreciated...

Thx,
MARK:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.