protools/garageband quits unexpectedly :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xterma, Dec 27, 2008.

1. xterma macrumors newbie

I bought myself a macbook pro fro Christmas and iv got to say, im totally converted. Iv been a Windows user for years and now vista is totally vulgar. :D

Iv had a few problems in the two days Iv had it. I installed pro tools and when I open it it quits unexpectedly. The same thing happened to garage band as well so I thought it was pro tools that was causing it so iv uninstalled pro tools (at least I think I have – dragging it to the trash?) but garage band still doesn’t work!

The fact that all the music software iv tried on my macbook isn’t working is slightly crippling my mac experience :’(

Everything else is amazing though :p

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Welcome to Mac, sorry your transition has been a bit bumpy. As far as software troubleshooting goes, there are a few steps to test the waters with. First thing to determine if the issue lies with the actual application or perhaps with something specific to the user-account you initially created. To test this, create another account from the Account panel in your System Preferences. Try launching ProTools or Garageband from the other user. One of two things should happen:
    1) If it still quits, try looking in Macintosh HD/Library/QuickTime for anything other than the AppleIntermediateCodec and AppleMPEG2Codec components. Drag anything extra to the desktop, it wasn't included with the system and could be interfering. Restart computer, try again. If it still won't work you'll have to reinstall Garageband and/or ProTools. If it still won't work, its time to think about archive and installing the system to overwrite some of the possibly altered system files.
    2) If it doesn't quit, go back to your main user and pull the /Library/Caches folder and the ProTools/Garageband files from /Library/Preferences.