Protools Home studio set up - advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by tommusic, Apr 17, 2009.

1. tommusic macrumors newbie

Heya, any advice would be really appreciated -

I have a macbook (it has one firewire port) I'm looking at getting m-powered protools and a profire 2626 interface from m-audio. I have checked all the specs and this should be fine, however.....

I've read a lot, and it seems a lot of people suggest you shouldn't record onto your integrated hardrive - why?

So do I need to buy an external hardrive? (I have a USB one - but apparently thats crap :s ...?)

and I only have one firewire port so If I use that for my interface, then I can't use it for an external hardrive :s ....?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Tom

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you can chain the firewire port and it'll be fine. USB is too slow for audio. your internal disc is too busy to record much audio. a couple tracks are fine, more than that and you could run into issues.

3. tommusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey zimv20, what do you mean by chain? What would I need to buy?

4. deej999 macrumors regular

By Chain, i think he means 'Daisy Chain'. If your HD has two firewire ports (many do) then connect like this Mac to HD to Audio interface.

Or you could get a firewire hub. Connect it to your mac and then run the fw devices through that. Check with Digidesign what they recommend.

deej

5. tommusic thread starter macrumors newbie

6. deej999 macrumors regular

I don't know the profire 2626. I'd try daisy chaining...