ProTools LE setup questions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by irongiant14, Jun 5, 2007.

1. irongiant14 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am trying to properly set up a new MBox2 mini and PT LE 7.3 with my Mac Book Pro. I've read that I should install PT to a unique user account, with Admin privleges, and then turn off things like Sleep mode and some others, but what others? Does anyone know of any good set up guides online?

I use this computer for my work as a graphic designer every day. If I change the settings for a DAW account, will they apply to my graphic design account, too? Sorry if this question is dumb. I'm new to osx.

Thanks!!

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no.

fwiw, i installed PTLE under my everyday account, and i don't think it's ever been an issue. but you should disable sleep, at least while PT is running.

other "special" stuff: you should use a dedicated audio drive to house the session and audio files. on my tower, i use the 2nd SATA drive. on my ibook, i use an 8 meg cache, 7200 rpm external firewire drive.

3. sangamc macrumors newbie

i installed PTLE on my everyday account too. i didnt disable sleep mode coz i want the mac to go to sleep when im not using it for extended period.

what happens when your mac goes to sleep is the core audio driver doesnot reload when the mac comes out of sleep mode. this is not such a big deal imo, all i do is close the coreaudio app and open PT or Reason and its back to normal. the same happens on PC's too, either the core audio driver doesnt respond after the system comes out of sleep mode, or the computer will not go to sleep and a message will pop up saying USB device has prevented the system from hibernating ....

4. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

I only have one account set up, and I record to an external firewire drive. A nice tip is you can set one of your "hot corners" to not have the screensaver come on, so when you're recording, throw the mouse to that corner. That way, the screensaver won't mess up the recording track. It's easier than turning it off completely before every session.

5. sangamc macrumors newbie

how long do most people set the timer for the screen saver?

the screen saver or sleep mode for that matter never happens when im protools coz im usually moving the mouse. i always wonder if some users set their screen saver to 1mintue or worse 30secs. this would be the only time imo that it would be a factor

6. JHacker macrumors 6502

JHacker

5 minutes is definitely a factor too.