ProTools, Photoshop CS3 Extended - MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hukuma, Jul 15, 2007.

1. hukuma macrumors newbie

Team - This is my first post. I've searched the forum, and have found TONS of useful info...but, my specific question hasn't been answered.
    I'm a Mac user...but am looking to upgrade to a MBP 17 shortly. I'm going to be using ProTools for home studio work and PS CS3 for pix.
    So...the question(s) - given that I have limited funds, am I better off with more RAM (upgrade to 4GB) or faster HD drive speed?

I'm looking forward to getting this machine. Hopefully the new iLife doesn't come out right after I buy it...if it does, well...such is life (pun intended).

Thanks

2. RichL macrumors 6502

I'm gonna have to go with get the better hard drive.
    1. They overcharge RAM
    2. You have to pay to upgrade hard drives at a certified shop

3. Trillium macrumors newbie

Go with the drive upgrade, unless you're going to be working with exeptionally huge files. 2 gigs is more than enough for most photoshop uses.

4. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

RAM RAM RAM the more ram the better. As for protools you wont need to upgrade the internal drive since you never record to your system drive so I;m sure you'd have an external for that. For photoshop I think the internal should be enough.

5. RichL macrumors 6502

If he wants to waste money on overpriced RAM, be my guest...You can pay like 150-200 bucks for 4GB of RAM instead of the 400 they charge. The hard drive is a good investment because upgrading it yourself voids warrants which forces you to pay for the services of others.

6. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

Oh no I wasnt suggesting him to get the ram from apple.

7. RichL macrumors 6502

MAH BAD!

8. hukuma thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the responses...indeed, I'll be writing to an external drive for ProTools, but would like to use the internal for pictures.
    BTW, I should have mentioned that I wouldn't buy the extra RAM from Apple. I was thinking about ordering from Crucial...as I've heard / read good things.

9. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

For storage for ProTools I urge you to go external....grab an eSata card and go from there! It'll perform just like an internal drive!