ProTools vs. Logic- Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hotelguy26, Aug 20, 2008.

1. hotelguy26 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone...

I will be doing some recording and I was wondering which is a better program for editing, engineering, composing, etc...

I'll be running an M-Audio (most likely Firewire) interface to the iMac. Recording live vocals and guitar and adding synth percussion, strings, bass, etc. I need the synths to sound like real instuments, and will most likely be importing them from a MIDI controller or MIDI output on a keyboard. I really want life-like quality in the percussion, bass and strings, to sound as close as live recorded as possible. I do not want "Fruity Loops" quality beat tracks or loops. Must go with the live guitar and vocal recordings.

Should I use Logic or ProTools?

Look forward to your answers... Thanks!

2. Moks macrumors member

shouldn't this be in 'Digital Audio' forum section?

3. Thetics macrumors regular

If youre planning on doing a lot of composing, I would suggest logic (I own both logic studio and protools 7.4) only because logic comes with a lot of great synths and natural instrument sounds, so composing would be a breeze. after that, its preference.

4. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

both of those programs can do what you want them to so it's really a matter of preference. I use logic because I find it more intuitive and mac like. However, pro tools is considered the industry standar. so if you want to make a career out of working in the recording industry, learning pro tools is a must.