Protools wont open! Since a mac update.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by goatboy, May 1, 2007.

1. goatboy macrumors newbie

Arrrrrrrrrrh! I need to record tonight, a couple of days ago i updated my mac software, battery stuff and os update. Tried opening protools before in my prastise room and it wont bugde. The icon bounces up and down as normal but protools wont open. All my files are still safe, 002 connnected, but protools just wont open, this protools 7.1, i've had the update for intel based macs and it's work fine for a year. Then today, this happens.

Anyone having this problem or has anyone got a solution!?

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you don't mention any version numbers, but get over to digidesign.com and ensure that your version of PT will work with your version of osx.

typically, digi takes a little while to get PT working w/ the latest version of osx. if that's what you're running, you're probably S.O.L.

4. zygo macrumors member

I too am having problems (PT m-powered 7.3). Are you using 10.4.9?? I just bought a new Mac Pro which unfortunately came with 10.4.9 pre-installed, and shipped with 10.4.9 discs. I have tried installing 10.4.7 discs(off my mate) and also tried 10.4.8 download from Apple, also tried the 10.4.9 combo update as suggested on the digidesign site-but none of them will install.

I get slightly further than you describe-loads up ok, loads a project, but when I press play it crashes the whole system(restart required) plus puts a nasty high pitched feedback through my system.

Please if anyone has any ideas/solutions let us know!!!!

Or if there are any people working for digidesign, do you have any ideas how long it will take for 10.4.9 to get support?

Back to Logic in the meantime.

5. sangamc macrumors newbie

couple of things you can do.

first is download the combo update for 10.4.9, install that as well as doing the file permissions patch. i wish i had the exact details, but if you go to the DUC website mac forums you can find lots of solutions and workarrounds there

http://duc.digidesign.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB24

i have intel imac running os10.4.9 and protools 7.3(.x latest update) and i have no issues with my system at all.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Pro Tools 7.3 has been for us the buggiest version to date. We have had a number of issues with it.

Corrupting audio files. Saving audio files on drives who'se workspace was configured as P/P - so it should not have been able to.

What's worse is when you add things like Melodyne, or T-Racks 2, AutoTune 4 into the equation. These plug ins even though they are all universal now, often cause PT problems for us.

Oh but worst of all.... The supposed 'real time editing' whilst your working / playing back - often causes pro-tools to crap out altogether.

Damn digidesign..... :(

7. sangamc macrumors newbie

I can actually do the real time editing whilst the session is playing back, but if i use any NI plugins in my song, it crashes then the session file wont open up again after that. i was forced to ditch NI and use PT strictly for recording vocals. Logic is where all my softsynths, plugins and reason are channled through