Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An alleged prototype version of Apple's "vintage" iPhone 6 has appeared in an eBay auction with a starting price of $4,999.

The device has the Apple logo and "iPhone" branding, but no FCC logos, serial number or IMEI on the rear, and appears to be in very good condition.

57-2.jpg

The handset apparently runs a much-sought-after hackable debugging OS called "SwitchBoard" and features a red lightning dock port with a serial number of C39NW00KG876. The seller claims to have bought it from a friend. The auction currently has one bidder.

57.jpg

In October 2014, a similar prototype iPhone 6 with red Lightning port was offered on eBay by someone claiming to have received the handset by accident. The auction garnered almost 200 bids and reached over $100,000, before being pulled by eBay, likely at Apple's request.

(Via 9to5Mac)

Article Link: Prototype iPhone 6 with 'Switchboard' OS Listed on eBay for $4,999

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I find it interesting that their debugging OS has a QR scanner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple has never used QR codes or offered any sort of way to scan QR codes on their devices without third party software, have they?

I feel like the only reason QR died off was because Apple never backed it at all.

!!!

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2013
I find it interesting that their debugging OS has a QR scanner.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Apple has never used QR codes or offered any sort of way to scan QR codes on their devices without third party software, have they?

I feel like the only reason QR died off was because Apple never backed it at all.
I don't see a QR scanner. Could you just be talking about the Touch ID?

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
If I ever have this device I would like to just keep it myself and lock it securely.
Bidding? Apple would not allow such happening anyway.
A debugging OS "Switchboard" would have a lot to play with, although it is impossible to install apps, I think.

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
It's amazing that some nerds will convince themselves to buy this. "Hey, I have an iPhone which does basically nothing and cost a fortune". Not something to be proud off.

You really think some nerd wants this? Think hacker, or developer.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The seller history includes a lot of clothing, rugs and furniture. This item is completely out of place. Perhaps they aren't familiar with what Apple does when they become aware of auctions like this--especially when they show up on Macrumors.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I'm sure Ebays litigation team are already aware of this. I guarantee its already been reported and Apple knew before this article was even posted.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
This is not their property to sell. Apple is obviously going to take this phone back and potentially get someone in trouble. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to sell stolen property.

Last edited:
Reactions: H3boy

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't get why anyone would pay that much for a phone even if it is a prototype. But I guess there are people out there with more money than they know what to do with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.