Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
a red motherboard? that proves everything

i think my homebuild with an AMD chip has a red motherboard in it

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
The title should say "Dirty Prototype Mac Pro, and Intel PowerBook Spotted"

Then people would wonder if that dirt is Steve's saliva or Woz's sweat.

In other words, who cares.

You cared enough to post about it.

jacob.vanorder

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
Good luck...

I have a prototype MacBook Pro that Apple won't let me sell on eBay.

This one: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/686790/

After trying to list it, eBay pulled it down due to Apple's request. I wonder how long the MacPro is going to be able to be on eBay before they pull it. It sucks that Apple seems to take a hard line on this, though. I understand that it sets a precedent but it's still a jerk move.

That powerbook is a really great find, though. I wonder if anyone noticed before hand that a Powerbook shouldn't have an iSight camera.

ABernardoJr

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2006
That Powerbook looks exceedingly odd for some reason. The "r" in Powerbook looks crooked, and I don't know if that was intentional lol

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
You don't have to be a fanboi to be interested in the engineering and creative process that goes on behind the scenes that create such iconic products. ;)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
What happens when you walk into an Apple Store and ask for help with your off-the-books Mac model?

They press a little red button, you disappear down a trap door and next thing you know… Steve Jobs is standing over you wearing a velvet dinner jacket…

Goldfinger%2Blaser.jpg

53buick

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
athens, ga
"PowerBook" looks waaaaay 'shopped.

yes it totally is. the skewing/perspective of "Power" is off. You can even see trails of the clone tool around it. And if you look closely, the edge of the bezel creeps into the screen just above the "P". Looks like they just took a Macbook and tried to replace the "Mac" with "Power"

With "amazing" touchup like this, you'd think they'd of used the "Hue/Saturation" adjustment to turn the motherboard red.

intelpowerbook.jpg

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
Such a new ("back in May" and "last year") is what we call a "refrito".
That's something not interesting, that we knew. And which is not related to anything...

Chimpy

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2007
What's up with the Apple logo on the prototype Mac Pro? Is it taped over or something?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
yes it totally is. the skewing/perspective of "Power" is off. You can even see trails of the clone tool around it. And if you look closely, the edge of the bezel creeps into the screen just above the "P". Looks like they just took a Macbook and tried to replace the "Mac" with "Power"

With "amazing" touchup like this, you'd think they'd of used the "Hue/Saturation" adjustment to turn the motherboard red.

intelpowerbook.jpg

Perhaps if you were to read the original thread, you would see that it isn't Photoshopped. :rolleyes:

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
wow, some people just have super bad attitudes.

Prototype machines are cool because they are extremely rare, especially from Apple. Personally I collect synthesizers and not computers. However it is cool to find these rare jems.

The problem I have is there are quite a few people that see a couple people getting excited over something, and feel they need to flame. Honestly if you couldn't care less about a prototype machine, then your just a damn fool for reading a theard with the first word being Prototype.

We don't have bad attitudes, we just have a life.

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Prototypes are fun!

I actually had a prototype Mac II kicking around my house for quite some time in the very early '90's. A friend (who used to work for Apple) had a prototype of the original Mac Portable.

Wow, to think how impressed we all were with the Mac II, and now I could (if it gets ported) easily emulate one on my iPhone. With many, many cycles to spare....:eek:

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
a red motherboard? that proves everything

i think my homebuild with an AMD chip has a red motherboard in it

No, but a red motherboard inside a Mac Pro chassis with EFI that runs OS X without any hacking. Add those up and consider that production Macs do not use red motherboards, I think its pretty simple to conclude its a prototype machine.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
A friend of mine that worked for apple during the intel switch mentioned he was using a macbook pro prototype that used a powerbook case, I'm not surprised one has popped up on ebay apparently they were in standard use for testing around apple internally.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Without a doubt....

It's real...:rolleyes:

I can assure you the logo is real. As you can see in the picture below, the letters are actually recessed into the bezel. So while the e may be a little of, it is off in a recessed bezel and while I might could believe someone faking the letters, I can't believe someone went through the trouble of building/recessing the bezel for the letters. BTW...the Macbook Pro logo is recessed the same way.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wACky2clM4w/ShxzFb594zI/AAAAAAAAFPU/Ru5zdgmqy28/s720/P1020097.JPG

53buick

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2005
athens, ga
Perhaps if you were to read the original thread, you would see that it isn't Photoshopped. :rolleyes:

still looks photoshopped to me. what i see is the exact same thing that i said. i.e. the clone anomalies around the word "Power", the weird perspective of it and the strange section of bezel creeping into the screen.

no, i have not seen this alleged piece in person, nor do i know the original poster of the original thread personally, so i am not familiar with their credentials so i'm using my best judgement as a graphic designer/spectator to deduce that the image in THIS post was indeed photoshopped. :rolleyes:

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
$ 2,000.– for the Mac Pro is a bargain. :)
That's not a Mac Pro. It's a prototype. It may or may not work well. It may or may not crash regularly. It may or may not be compatible with the 10.6.1 update. I wouldn't pay $2000 for it. But then again, I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle

intelpowerbook.jpg
Done!

Attachments

• done.jpg
    done.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.