Protruding camera and scratches

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Hi all,

Loving my iPhone 6. I've rocked every single iPhone since 07 naked and I haven't cracked a screen yet. I have some hairline scratches on some of my phones but I can take it if I'm using the device naked. My question with the 6 is the protruding camera.

When I place the phone down on a surface (I usually always do this pretty gently), is the camera more prone to getting scratched just because it's sticking out? If it has the sapphire glass, how resistant is that to scratching? While I may not mind hairline scratches on the body of the phone, I don't want to get that great camera scratched up.

Any help is appreciated.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Good question. I'm rocking my 6+ naked and have been since September 19th. I'm always laying it down on a surface and haven't had a scratch yet.. we'll see how that holds up over time

Oli20

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2014
Mitten
Hi all,

Loving my iPhone 6. I've rocked every single iPhone since 07 naked and I haven't cracked a screen yet. I have some hairline scratches on some of my phones but I can take it if I'm using the device naked. My question with the 6 is the protruding camera.

When I place the phone down on a surface (I usually always do this pretty gently), is the camera more prone to getting scratched just because it's sticking out? If it has the sapphire glass, how resistant is that to scratching? While I may not mind hairline scratches on the body of the phone, I don't want to get that great camera scratched up.

Any help is appreciated.
My understanding is the that sapphire has much better scratch resistance than other glass that is used on the phone. Hence Apple was wanting it for the phones. I think the only issue with it is that is tends to shatter easier. So if you are setting it down gentle I wouldn't imagine you'll have any issues. The home button is also sapphire for the same reason so that it won't scratch and ruin TouchID

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
My understanding is the that sapphire has much better scratch resistance than other glass that is used on the phone. Hence Apple was wanting it for the phones. I think the only issue with it is that is tends to shatter easier. So if you are setting it down gentle I wouldn't imagine you'll have any issues. The home button is also sapphire for the same reason so that it won't scratch and ruin TouchID
this is correct

impulse462

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
Cool. I'm pretty careful with my phones so I think I'll be fine then. thanks for the info

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Hi all,

Any help is appreciated.

Sapphire can only be scratched by diamonds.