Proud new macbook owner

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
I've just purchased my first Mac OS X computer off eBay won an auction for an early 2014 MacBook with Apple care till 2017 for $589 free shipping

Specs are:
4gb ram
128gb SSD
1.4ghz Haswell i5

My question is any way can I upgrade the ram or the SSD like in the old MacBook pros

Also should I purchase a hard shell case with the silicon keyboard cover or will that be a waste of money ?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
No, the ram is soldered onto the logic board and while the SSD is not, I don't believe anyone has released a replacement. You may be able to find some SSDs on ebay but they're being pulled from Macs.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2015
No, the RAM is soldered onto the logic board.

That's up to you. Some buy covers and many don't. Only you can determine what works best for you.
Well I'll be taking it in and out if my backpsck for classes, mainly wondering if it scratches easily ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well I'll be taking it in and out if my backpsck for classes, mainly wondering if it scratches easily ?
If your backpack has a soft pouch designed for laptops and you don't have other sharp objects touching it, you should be able to take it out and put it back without scratching it, as long as you're careful. Aluminum can scratch, but many can use Apple notebooks on the go for years without scratching them. Only you know how careful you'll be.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
RAM is soldered, ssd upgrades not yet available.
Use a sd to extend storage if absolutely needed.

You got a great deal on a truly great laptop. Enjoy :)

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
No scratches on a 2011 MBP that I've been taking in and out of a backpack daily for almost 2.5 years now. I was initially worried about the zipper on the bag causing scratches but nothing has happened to it.