Proud new macbook owner

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Airboy1466, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

I've just purchased my first Mac OS X computer off eBay won an auction for an early 2014 MacBook with Apple care till 2017 for $589 free shipping

Specs are:
    4gb ram
    128gb SSD
    1.4ghz Haswell i5

My question is any way can I upgrade the ram or the SSD like in the old MacBook pros

Also should I purchase a hard shell case with the silicon keyboard cover or will that be a waste of money ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, the RAM is soldered onto the logic board.
    That's up to you. Some buy covers and many don't. Only you can determine what works best for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, the ram is soldered onto the logic board and while the SSD is not, I don't believe anyone has released a replacement. You may be able to find some SSDs on ebay but they're being pulled from Macs.

4. Airboy1466 thread starter macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Well I'll be taking it in and out if my backpsck for classes, mainly wondering if it scratches easily ?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If your backpack has a soft pouch designed for laptops and you don't have other sharp objects touching it, you should be able to take it out and put it back without scratching it, as long as you're careful. Aluminum can scratch, but many can use Apple notebooks on the go for years without scratching them. Only you know how careful you'll be.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

RAM is soldered, ssd upgrades not yet available.
    Use a sd to extend storage if absolutely needed.

You got a great deal on a truly great laptop. Enjoy :)

7. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

No scratches on a 2011 MBP that I've been taking in and out of a backpack daily for almost 2.5 years now. I was initially worried about the zipper on the bag causing scratches but nothing has happened to it.

8. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982