Proud owner of a New MacBook PRO!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by billmister, Mar 3, 2008.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Hello everyone!... Well just felt so happy that i wanted to let everyone know that i am a proud owner of a New MacBook PRO. I placed my order yesterday and shipping for 2-3 days. So i should have it by thursday.

Here is my set up.

15-inch
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

This will NOT be my main computer. For that i have my while Intel Core 2 Duo iMac with 2.0ghz, 2gig Ram, and 500HD with 500 External for back up.

This Macbook will be used mainly when i'm lazy around the house to sit in front of my desk and specially when i travel. Everytime i travel with my fiance she brings her blackbook and i have to wait untill she's done doing her things and then i can get on it.. I would much rather have my own. Also make the full use of .Mac.

I'm really happy with my purchase and i can't wait to get it in the mail. The only upgrade i did to this is the hard drive. I ordered the 250 instead of 200. I figure i will need it in the near future.

Thank you guys, and i feel happy to be part of the PRO squad lol. There was doubts in my mind about going with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB but to tell you the truth a macbook pro is a macbook pro, and i really am not going to be doing any visual effects or antyhing that will require that video card. The one i got is good enough since it's still a upgrade from my imac and i'm 200% happy with my iMac. and i saved about $500 also.

my iMac runs EXTREMELY smooth. I am happy with my imac purchase all though i am not anywhere NEAR filling up my 500gig in that, i'm happy with it. I def should of bought a 250 or 320gig but i'm happy anyway.

Thanks guys!

2. Pees330 macrumors 6502

Congratulations on your new machine! I got mine last week and I love it. It is an incredible computer and you will love it too. :D

3. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

4. Ollivander macrumors newbie

I am trying to figure out if I should go for a pro or an air. For what you are using it for, it seems like an air would work for you. Did you even think about the air at all? If so why did you ultimately go with the pro?

Congrats on your new machine!

5. patp77 macrumors member

Although the Air would probably meet his immediate requirements, I'm not so sure it would meet his requirements a few years down the road. The Air is a weaker performer than the Macbook so it will have a shorter lifespan in the fast changing world of computers. Personally, if you don't need the thinness and lower weight, I can't see why you would even want the Air over the Macbook Pro or even the Macbook for that matter.

6. Ollivander macrumors newbie

Very good point. I think the only reason, stupid as it may seem, that I want the air is for the cool, thin and light weight factor. The Air has so many more negatives than getting a Pro, this shouldn't be even be a debate for me, but nonetheless it is.

7. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Really?.. I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your machine... I can't wait to get mine!

LOL you know what, as soon as i read your reply i started wondering "hmmmm what if i DID sell my imac?" LOl No i can't do that to my imac... My imac i actually opened up my imac and installed my 500 gig myslef. It was a first to open up a iMac. I even posted a video on youtube to show others how. I will keeping that one to have my printer hooked up to, external drive... ect.. I know i can just get Time machine, and hook up my printer to it, and back up my laptop and desktop wirelessly but for now i'm ok. The other main reason why i will keep it is, when i get married and move in to a new house, this will be like the living room computer. My fiance has blackbook and i have macbook pro.

I really fell in love with my iMac. It is weird it's like we have a bond. My first Macintosh PC, my first time opening it up. I love it's design and it would be EXTREMELY hard for me to let it go.

Maybe even when i have kids, i'll have it around lol.

Thank you for your comment. I have looked into the Air but i do not like it as much as the macbook or macbook PRO. The reason why is.

1)Size-Air seems a bit to thin for my tast. It would feel a little fragile in my hands. I prefer the macbook size or macbook pro size.. Call me old school but when they go to small, it's not my tast.
    2)DVD Drive-Yes i can get a external but why need to?.. I believe for the price you pay $1,700 you should get it. Tell you the truth there isn't much times when i use my cd drive. i MEAN I BUY MY MOVIES ON iTUNES, and load my video's from camara to computer, BUT lately i've been playing Doom3. That requires you to have your disk in, and Air will not let me do that. Also incase i buy a CD and i wanted to put it into my laptop i would have to be near another comptuer and if they don't have the disk share i'd have to install it on their computer, for me it's to much hassle. But that's my 2 cents.
    3)Price for what you get. I really don't mind paying the extra few bucks buck for what i am going to need it, it's not a smart buy.
    I pack on video's so i need the space
    250gigs - 64 SSD gigs is a big difference for me. I like to be able to have mutliple appls on my screen (ichat, adium, firefox, ical, etc..) the 15inch screen - 13 inch, i much rather have the 15 inch... i need my apps/movie's/photos/sometimes games to run smoothly 2.4ghz-1.8ghz is a difference as well. So for i would much rather pay the 1,100 less and get the space, speed, screen size, and computer size i preffer.
    4)Technology- Now the new macbook PRo have the multi-touch, LED backlit display and the latest intel.

So i guess in a way it's more compatible for me and the price is more comfortable. They are both great machines, PRO is more my needs. Well actually the macbook is, but i thought for a couple more i can get the pro so i did.